+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unauthorized work before PGWP

mangotorch

Mar 16, 2024
I worked thinking valid study permit is enough after course completion, declared it in PGWP, now I am wondering if I shot myself in the foot and jeopardized my Canada immigration plan.

Hello everyone, I received my course completion letter in Jan 2024, I had my study permit validity till May-24 so I was under the assumption that I could be working as long as I was on a valid Study permit, but I realized last week that this was not the case and I had to cease working after receiving the first communication from university stating the program had been completed(Jan-24) so I had worked for about 40-45 days since receiving it.

Upon realizing my mistake I had immediately applied for PGWP and in the application where they had asked if I had done unauthorized work, I said yes and in the box I mentioned briefly that I was not aware I had to stop after program completion, further in LOE. In my LOE I had mentioned that as my study permit was valid I didn’t know I had to cease working, I realized my mistake and immediately applied for PGWP, I decided to not work until I filed for my PGWP at the earliest, I included all this in my PGWP, I begged for forgiveness and said that I had no intention on disregarding the law(which I don’t) and this was a genuine mistake and I apologized ardently. I had received the WP-EXT 2 days later giving me authorization to work until my PGWP is processed.

Now my question is, I have seen that a lot of people in this forum had previously said that it was okay to not declare it and just go ahead saying no and there wouldn’t be any repercussions, but the reason why I chose to disclose it initially was because I was working on SIN and didn’t want any problems when applying for PR or citizenship later. Do you guys think I made the right move? Would I be required to bring this up again during PR/citizenship? I plan on start working in my field in which I had done my studies and gained a little experience from back home, the current job I am doing is only being done to support myself financially, I am not planning on counting this experience while applying for PR either, I would be disclosing this under personal experience, avoiding bringing up old wounds again during later applications is my primary goal as what is done is done and I can’t change it.
Anyone who has a similar problem or experience please share your journey, the last few days have not been easy on me.