+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unable to upload PDF files in my application for permanent residence

noorbw

Sep 12, 2016
Dear Experts,

This is my first post on the forum and after a lot of searching on all threads and online, I could not resolve an issue that is preventing me from uploading pdf files into my application.
I received an ITA few days ago and have completed my application and have uploaded many JPG files. However, the system does not let me upload any kind of pdf files (tried PDF and pdf extension, smaller names, very small files etc). I tried uploading from all kinds of browsers and they all give out the same error message.
I even reported the issue to CIC but after 4 days, still waiting to hear from them.
In the meantime, can any of the experts suggest what could be wrong and if I can somehow manage to upload the PDF files?

Thanks a lot!

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
noorbw said:
Dear Experts,

This is my first post on the forum and after a lot of searching on all threads and online, I could not resolve an issue that is preventing me from uploading pdf files into my application.
I received an ITA few days ago and have completed my application and have uploaded many JPG files. However, the system does not let me upload any kind of pdf files (tried PDF and pdf extension, smaller names, very small files etc). I tried uploading from all kinds of browsers and they all give out the same error message.
I even reported the issue to CIC but after 4 days, still waiting to hear from them.
In the meantime, can any of the experts suggest what could be wrong and if I can somehow manage to upload the PDF files?

Thanks a lot!
What exactly does the error message say ?

Are the pdf files under 4mb ?

noorbw

Sep 12, 2016
istari said:
What exactly does the error message say ?

Are the pdf files under 4mb ?
Thanks for your reply. Yes, the files are all less than 500KB. Here is the error message I get when uploading any kind of PDF file on any kind of browser:
Validation error: You have not completed the mandatory fields or you have not completed them correctly. Please make corrections where indicated.
Error Description: You have specified an incorrect file format for your attachment. Retry with another format. The following file formats are allowed: DOC; JPG; PDF; PNG; and TIFF.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Try uninstalling and reinstall adobe or upgrade to latest version. Otherwise try different browsers.

If you search the forum others have had this issue as well.

ozavi

Jul 29, 2015
wes evaluation

Good day house, please just wanna ask if wes does evaluation for ICAN or Oxford Brookes bsc and ACCA certificates.

Awaiting a prompt reply pls.

Thanks.

martha1901

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
18-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-06-2016
Hi,

Just wondering if you merge it together as one file. :)

noorbw

Sep 12, 2016
Bs65 said:
Try uninstalling and reinstall adobe or upgrade to latest version. Otherwise try different browsers.

If you search the forum others have had this issue as well.
I have the latest Adobe version installed. I tried the upload on IE, Edge, Chrome and Firefox....everywhere it gives the same error. I am able to upload JPG without any trouble.

noorbw

Sep 12, 2016
martha1901 said:
Hi,

Just wondering if you merge it together as one file. :)
I tried uploading big as well as very small PDF files, none worked. Not sure if I understand your question...I did not merge any files. I even tried uploading the PDF downloaded from CIC site and even those fail to upload.

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
noorbw said:
I tried uploading big as well as very small PDF files, none worked. Not sure if I understand your question...I did not merge any files. I even tried uploading the PDF downloaded from CIC site and even those fail to upload.
Each placeholder can only take 1 file. So if you have a section of your profile that requires more than 1 document (for example, if proving one of your jobs requires you to upload a reference letter and certificate of employment), all documents must be merged into a single PDF.

noorbw

Sep 12, 2016
istari said:
Each placeholder can only take 1 file. So if you have a section of your profile that requires more than 1 document (for example, if proving one of your jobs requires you to upload a reference letter and certificate of employment), all documents must be merged into a single PDF.
That is true...but only if the system lets me upload even a single PDF into any placeholder. Unable to upload a PDF in any of the placeholders at the moment. The only thing I have not tried so far is using my home internet connection to do the uploading. Currently I have been trying to upload from my office...may be there is a proxy restriction for PDF docs.

noorbw

Sep 12, 2016
noorbw said:
That is true...but only if the system lets me upload even a single PDF into any placeholder. Unable to upload a PDF in any of the placeholders at the moment. The only thing I have not tried so far is using my home internet connection to do the uploading. Currently I have been trying to upload from my office...may be there is a proxy restriction for PDF docs.
Same error when tried from my home computer. Anybody faced a similar issue...or any other suggestions as to what I should do? Even after reporting the technical issue to CIC there has been no response.

HelloCanada910

Star Member
Sep 10, 2018
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
07-11-2019
Please refer the below link to generate compressed PDF

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1160&top=23

copied from the website

I need to add multiple files to my online application, but there is only one field to upload documents. What can I do?
To upload multiple documents to one field, you will need to combine multiple documents into one file.
How to combine documents:
  • Text documents: Copy the text from all files into a single document. If you are including photos, use the “Insert picture” function instead of “Copy/Paste”.
  • PDF files: Combine PDFs to make a multi-page PDF.
    If you are using Acrobat DC, follow the instructions on Adobe’s website.
    If you don’t have Acrobat DC, there are websites that offer PDF merging services, like:
  • Images: Combine multiple images of your documents into a text document or PDF. When you save a PDF file, use a low resolution (96 dpi) to keep the document under 4MB.
You can only upload one 4MB file per field. If you try to upload multiple files in the same field, only one will be saved.