AOR Received.
27-02-2017
Med's Done....
23-03-2017
Passport Req..
20-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-04-2017
My dad is a small business owner in Punjab, India. He applied for Business registration online via e-Registration process (http://www.pbshops.org/). Has been more than 2 months since he applied and there is no update to his application.
He followed up with Shops and Commercial Establishments, Labour Inspector in person, The Labour Inspector said the registration is not required for a small business which falls out of the municipal area.

The first required document for Visitor Visa for a business owner is a "Business Registration Letter". Since we are unable to obtain this letter, i was wondering if there is any alternative document i can attach to his application to prove his business ownership.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Your dad would be applying for a Sole Proprietorship.

Your dad must apply for a Shop Act license as the first step. It does not matter whether his business falls within/outside a municipal corporation area. No business (not even, for example, a grocers shop or a stationery shop) can operate without a shop act license.

The process is much faster (and simpler) if your dad visits the Shops and Commercial Establishments registration office. The staff will guide your dad for the necessary documents (proof of address, PAN card, etc). The person whom your dad met has not given him the correct information.

Once your dad gets a Shop Act license, he can open a bank account (on the new business name).... apply for tax registrations (whichever one is applicable), etc. A separate PAN card, filing taxes separately, etc may not be necessary as he can file income tax (as personal income) even for his business

There's no other workaround this. These are the only documents that would prove your dad has an actively trading business

Cheers

saina0830

Jan 4, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-02-2017
Med's Done....
23-03-2017
Passport Req..
20-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-04-2017
Hi Bryanna,
He has applied under shop act online and the person he met is the Labour inspector responsible for approving the registration.
Would you know the processing time? My dad asked them they didn't give any time lines

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
If I'm not mistaken a Labour Inspector is someone who is consulted only if the establishment has employed workers. And, not for setting up a business/company.

I don't know how long it takes to process an online business registration application. However, I'm sure it doesn't take 2+ months, considering that your dad has not received any official communication so far, nor has anyone visited your dad's intended business to verify the documents that he had submitted online.

I wouldn't wait endlessly for the online application to get moving. Maybe he should go the old-fashioned way. Apply through paper/at the actual office, in person

saina0830

Jan 4, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-02-2017
Med's Done....
23-03-2017
Passport Req..