+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unable to meet residency requirement

bavarian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2009
Leon

I am a PR card holder currently in US. I first landed in canada in Feb 2010. If I am unable to meet 730 day residency requirement can I reapply for Canada PR? Please advise. Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can not reapply while you are still a PR. You must lose it first.

Another option, if you make it to Canada unnoticed, immigration would not be aware that you do not meet the residency requirements. In that case, you can let your PR card expire and only apply to renew it after you have 2 years in Canada. This would put your PR status back in good standing.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/my-expreience-entering-canada-with-pr-expring-in-3-month-t125684.0.html

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bavarian said:
How do I make it to canada unnoticed? Won't IO ask for my documents if I enter by road or air?
By unnoticed I mean that you manage to avoid being reported for not meeting the residency requirements when you enter.

From all the people who have posted on this forum and said that they entered Canada with expiring cards, with expired cards, with old landing papers or with a visa exempt passport without showing the PR card, many of whom were far from meeting the requirements, most of them seem to have gotten away with it. Some lied about meeting the requirements when they entered, some said that they were certain that the IO knew they were lying but let them in anyway, some told the truth that they didn't meet the requirements, said they had a good reason why they couldn't or even not, were still allowed to enter.

It seems to be very common for the IO's that they just can't be bothered to report people or maybe they prefer that they enter Canada and deal with CIC when they try to renew their PR cards. However, if you stay for 2 years before trying to renew your PR card, you will not have an issue with CIC because you will then meet the requirements again. There is no law that says you must have a PR card to live in Canada if you are a PR. You are free to let it expire. As long as you have a SIN, you can work. However, you should preferably not leave during the 2 year period because you risk every time that you enter that you could be reported and lose your PR and you should not try to sponsor a member of your family during this 2 year period either.

1313anat

Dec 8, 2012
Hi guys new to the site but got real piece of information
Thanks to everyone on this site
My problem is that I have not met the residency obligation
730 and I was reported in June on the airport by immigration officer
But they let me in and told me to leave Canada ASAP
Of course which I never did and they never contacted me after that I stayed here for more than year
Completed residency 730 days obligation last 5 years and applied for pr renewal on aug 3 2012 they received my file on aug 10 and starting processing on oct 2 today it's dec 8 I have no info updated site says processing

I really need all seniors advice and I thanks in advance for ur help

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1313anat said:
Hi guys new to the site but got real piece of information
Thanks to everyone on this site
My problem is that I have not met the residency obligation
730 and I was reported in June on the airport by immigration officer
But they let me in and told me to leave Canada ASAP
Of course which I never did and they never contacted me after that I stayed here for more than year
Completed residency 730 days obligation last 5 years and applied for pr renewal on aug 3 2012 they received my file on aug 10 and starting processing on oct 2 today it's dec 8 I have no info updated site says processing

I really need all seniors advice and I thanks in advance for ur help
If they really reported you, you would have gotten some paperwork. You would not have been told to leave ASAP but you would have been told that you could appeal for your PR and that you had 30 days to do it. If this did not happen, you were not really reported. Sometimes immigration officers give you a lecture and they may tell you all kind of things but if they do not actually report you through the proper procedures, nothing happens and you keep your PR.

If you applied to renew with 730 days or more in the past 5 years before you applied, you should get your PR card renewed. However, it is possible that if you were very close to the 730 days and/or you don't have much traceable history in Canada that they will do a residency questionnaire and make you show up for an interview to ask you if you have really stayed in Canada for 730 days and what you have for proof. However, you just have to wait and see if that happens. The processing time is now 90 days for renewals so your application may already be under scrutiny but there is nothing much you can do but wait and see.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1313anat said:
My problem is that I have not met the residency obligation 730 and I was reported in June on the airport by immigration officer But they let me in and told me to leave Canada ASAP Of course which I never did and they never contacted me after that I stayed here for more than year Completed residency 730 days obligation last 5 years and applied for pr renewal on aug 3 2012 they received my file on aug 10 and starting processing on oct 2 today it's dec 8 I have no info updated site says processing....
1. Did you fill out or sign any paperwork at the airport?

2. Were you required to provide your address and/or a record of your exits/ entries to Canada?

3. What documents did you submit with your PR Card renewal as proof of 730 days physical presence in Canada in the 5 years prior to your application date?

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok so it seems like you,are not reported. I also applied,for renewal I will give u my timeline if it,helps I applied on sep 13, 2012. n I was able to see my status online exactly after 2 or 3 weeks. So can say around nov.20. Online its showing they started processing application on 31 oct. Status is still in process. Timeline nowadays is 90 days so,i am expecting to recieve it on 13 dec. So hopefully soon u will also be able to see ur status online on cic website. Best of luck