+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unable to maintain permanent resident status

helix9346

Nov 2, 2022
Hello,
Few years back, I was approved for permanent residence and I got it activated by temporarily visiting Canada.
However, I got married in my home country and ended up starting a family as well. After having kid, situation changed I had continue living and working in my home country, and moving to Canada was not an easy thing to do.
My permanent residence card is about to expire later this year (2024) . As of now, I have not been able to maintain permanent resident status because I have not been in Canada for more than 730 days within 5 years of getting permanent residence activated. Neither is it possible for me to complete 730 days in Canada even if I account for remaining time for my permanent residence card to expire.

Given this situation, I wanted to know what my options are and what my next steps should be if I want to keep my options open to move to Canada in future - for example when I am in a better situation family wise and when my kid is a bit grown up.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
Few years back, I was approved for permanent residence and I got it activated by temporarily visiting Canada.
However, I got married in my home country and ended up starting a family as well. After having kid, situation changed I had continue living and working in my home country, and moving to Canada was not an easy thing to do.
My permanent residence card is about to expire later this year (2024) . As of now, I have not been able to maintain permanent resident status because I have not been in Canada for more than 730 days within 5 years of getting permanent residence activated. Neither is it possible for me to complete 730 days in Canada even if I account for remaining time for my permanent residence card to expire.

Given this situation, I wanted to know what my options are and what my next steps should be if I want to keep my options open to move to Canada in future - for example when I am in a better situation family wise and when my kid is a bit grown up.
Are you sharing your account with someone else? Are you in India or the US? When did you land as a PR and how many days have you spent in Canada since then?