+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unable to get SIN from Service Canada

manshahia

Aug 20, 2019
Hi I landed on 21st Nov as PR with my family wife and child. During quarantine i tried applying for the SIN but i required an address proof that should have my name. Being new in the country it was not possible. Then after completing our quarantine, we went to Service Canada with our passports and COPR. The agent there was not able to find my application in the system and suggested i should apply for the paper based SIN which will take around 4-6 weeks. Until then i can't work and being with the family it is really difficult to manage with out a job. I told them i didn't want to apply for paper based application for SIN.

So after that they suggested that if you get your PR card then they can issue the SIN within minutes. But the problem. is that while landing i didn't provide any address there. So immigration provided a link where i could notify about my address. Using that link i wasn't able to find my application again. Even if i fax the address to the immigration that would also take around 2-3 months i think. I am really stuck here and can't burn through my savings this way.

Can someone please guide me what i can do?
I would be very thankful to you.
Regards,
Ravinder

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
When did you land?

I think you should focus on getting the SIN. As far as i know, if you go to the Service Canada office with your COPR and apply in person, you don't need to provide a proof of address. Maybe at the moment they don't have the capacity to issue SINs on the spot.

I would say the paper-based application is your best bet if you don't have a POA in your name, at least you know you'll be getting it in that time period.

The PR card, you don't know when you'll receive that, and it could be a long wait with the delays due to covid. A lot of people have had to wait more than 3 months. Try to link your PR card to your GC account, if you really can't find it there, then it means there is probably an issue wit your application.

You should call the IRCC hotline to ask them about your PR card application.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
My bad, that was literally the first thing he said lol.

Well, it means he's going to have to wait a lot longer for the PR card than if he just goes with the paper-based application for the SIN. Right now the processing time for new PR cards is 129 days. So that's more than 4 months.

Ravinder, can't you get a bank statement with your address on it?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Maybe just go back to service canada and not say anything about already appyling thus not giving the agent an option to not do anything.

Reactions: Islander216

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think he need SIN to open a Canadian bank account. I guess he can ask his home country banker to send him bank statement (unless they also need the address proof).

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I think he need SIN to open a Canadian bank account. I guess he can ask his home country banker to send him bank statement (unless they also need the address proof).
I know people who opened their CAN bank accounts without one, and ended up using their bank statements as their POA for their online SIN applications. But it may vary depending on the bank.

His home country banker would probably need a POA as well to switch his address to a Canadian one. I'm not sure they would agree to do that either, and it may bring up issues with them about him being non-resident in his home country.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
well SIN aside... finding work within 4-6 weeks after landing during COVID seems a bit ambitious.

manshahia

Aug 20, 2019
I would say the paper-based application is your best bet if you don't have a POA in your name, at least you know you'll be getting it in that time period.

The PR card, you don't know when you'll receive that, and it could be a long wait with the delays due to covid. A lot of people have had to wait more than 3 months. Try to link your PR card to your GC account, if you really can't find it there, then it means there is probably an issue wit your application.

You should call the IRCC hotline to ask them about your PR card application.
I called them today and told them all the story. She said they were waiting for me to confirm my canadian address and said now that i have provided one, my PR cards will reach the destination with some delay due to covid, holidays and issue with canada mail.

I want to ask you something that what is the significance of linking one's PR Card to GC Account? Also after providing the address, i tried to link the remaining applications ( mine is already linked, 2 dependents remainining) but my application could not be found.

I talked to the bank agent as well and he said he could provide me a printing copy at the branch and said if postal statement is required then it would take some time. He said try it with the quick statement one and see if it works. Also apply the postal in the mean time.

Maybe just go back to service canada and not say anything about already appyling thus not giving the agent an option to not do anything.
After providing the address for the PR card to IRCC on call, i asked her about the issue i faced at Service Canada. After checking for some time she said that i should go back to Service Canada and ask them to do manual validation for SIN. (I don't know what that means).

Bank account was opened easily with the COPR. They just took the COPR and Passports.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I called them today and told them all the story. She said they were waiting for me to confirm my canadian address and said now that i have provided one, my PR cards will reach the destination with some delay due to covid, holidays and issue with canada mail.

I want to ask you something that what is the significance of linking one's PR Card to GC Account? Also after providing the address, i tried to link the remaining applications ( mine is already linked, 2 dependents remainining) but my application could not be found.
You look like you made quite a bit of progress on the issue, that's good. But just to remind you, the bank statement has to have your postal address on it for it to be of use to you as a proof of address.

There's no significance other than it helps you track your application for your PR card, you'll know when it's been completed, and when it has been sent by mail.

localhost8100

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
well SIN aside... finding work within 4-6 weeks after landing during COVID seems a bit ambitious.
Everyone has their own skillset which might make them unique to obtain job. We don't know the whole story. Who are we to judge what is ambitious or not? Please give suggestion on what the question was asked.

PS: My friend found a job before landing, I too as well had a job before landing.

EnthuChap

Jun 9, 2014
Toronto
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-12-2019
Doc's Request.
22-01-2020
Nomination.....
26-11-2019
AOR Received.
01-12-2019
Med's Request
02-11-2019
Med's Done....
17-01-2020
Passport Req..
06-04-2021
LANDED..........
10-09-2021
I am also facing similar issue. Me and my wife went to Service Canada on 14 Sep for getting SIN instantly, but they just gave a Finder # and said that they require more information from immigration and once Immigration responds SIN will be issued to me. I see that 'ask them to do manual validation for SIN' as the solution and I would pursue it. Hope something happens with it.

My Progress:

1. I was able to open a Bank account without SIN. I also got a credit card. I am with CIBC.
  2. I was able to get OHIP cover also.
  3. I had used my mobile agreement invoice as a proof of address.

Last edited: