+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK Transit Visa for Indian Nationals

maheshmit

Star Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hi All,

I'm planning to do a soft landing and I'm considering British Airways with a layover at London Heathrow for both onward and return. The UK Government website says that Indians having a valid Canadian visa do not need to apply for UK transit visa. So, I'm clear for the onward journey since I'll have the single entry Canada visa.

However, since the visa will be cancelled once I enter Canada, do I require a UK transit visa for my return?

Please share your experience.

Thanks!

y2kunal

Star Member
Jul 3, 2018
Category........
FSW
Hi All,

I'm planning to do a soft landing and I'm considering British Airways with a layover at London Heathrow for both onward and return. The UK Government website says that Indians having a valid Canadian visa do not need to apply for UK transit visa. So, I'm clear for the onward journey since I'll have the single entry Canada visa.

However, since the visa will be cancelled once I enter Canada, do I require a UK transit visa for my return?

Thanks!
As far as I'm aware Canadian PR can enter UK upto certain days so definitely a transit without a visa arrangement if that is true.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hi All,

Thanks!
Transit Visa is required to show to the airline. While you will be PR on your return, you will not have anything to show to the airline. It is possible that they will deny boarding based on that. Transit Visa requirement can be waived by many different criteria, see if you qualify under any of those.
I am not sure of COPR qualifies as a resident permit

You don’t need a visa if you have one of the following:

• a visa for Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the USA (this can be used for travel to any country)
  • a residence permit issued by Australia or New Zealand
  • a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland
  • a resident permit issued by Canada after 28 June 2002
  • a uniform format category D visa for entry into a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • an Irish biometric visa (marked ‘BC’ or ‘BC BIVS’ in the ‘Remarks’ section)
  • a Schengen Approved Destination Scheme (ADS) group tourism visa where the holder is travelling to the Schengen country that issued the visa
  • a flight ticket from the Schengen area, if you can prove that you entered the Schengen area in the previous 30 days on the basis of a valid Schengen ADS visa
  • a valid USA I-551 Temporary Immigrant visa issued by the USA (a wet-ink stamp version will not be accepted)
  • a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998
  • an expired USA I-551 Permanent Residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998, with a valid I-797 letter authorising extension
  • a valid standalone US Immigration Form 155A/155B issued by the USA (attached to a sealed brown envelope)
All visas and residence permits must be valid.

E-visas or e-residence permits are not acceptable unless your airline is able to verify it with the issuing country. Contact your airline for more information.

maheshmit

Star Member
Sep 25, 2018
Transit Visa is required to show to the airline. While you will be PR on your return, you will not have anything to show to the airline. It is possible that they will deny boarding based on that. Transit Visa requirement can be waived by many different criteria, see if you qualify under any of those.
I am not sure of COPR qualifies as a resident permit

You don’t need a visa if you have one of the following:

• a visa for Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the USA (this can be used for travel to any country)
  • a residence permit issued by Australia or New Zealand
  • a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland
  • a resident permit issued by Canada after 28 June 2002
  • a uniform format category D visa for entry into a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • an Irish biometric visa (marked ‘BC’ or ‘BC BIVS’ in the ‘Remarks’ section)
  • a Schengen Approved Destination Scheme (ADS) group tourism visa where the holder is travelling to the Schengen country that issued the visa
  • a flight ticket from the Schengen area, if you can prove that you entered the Schengen area in the previous 30 days on the basis of a valid Schengen ADS visa
  • a valid USA I-551 Temporary Immigrant visa issued by the USA (a wet-ink stamp version will not be accepted)
  • a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998
  • an expired USA I-551 Permanent Residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998, with a valid I-797 letter authorising extension
  • a valid standalone US Immigration Form 155A/155B issued by the USA (attached to a sealed brown envelope)
All visas and residence permits must be valid.

E-visas or e-residence permits are not acceptable unless your airline is able to verify it with the issuing country. Contact your airline for more information.

Thank you for your detailed response! I was concerned about my return journey since the Canada visa will no longer be valid. I think I might be better off booking a non-stop flight.

y2kunal

Star Member
Jul 3, 2018
Category........
FSW
Thank you for your detailed response! I was concerned about my return journey since the Canada visa will no longer be valid. I think I might be better off booking a non-stop flight.
Non stop flight makes sense as you won't have your PR card if you're doing a soft landing. Or perhaps have a layover elsewhere outside Europe.

If you find the posts helpful then please hit like. Thank you.

Reactions: maheshmit

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Any update in this please anyone. Facing the same dilemma??
Are you planing on soft landing? I am not sure they will allow it during this covid-19 crisis

If you are successful then I believe you will need a transit visa for your return journey since the one time entry immigrant visa will be no longer valid once you complete your landing formalities in Canada.