+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK Science degree value in Canada. Any experience, ideas?

Ali25

Jan 17, 2007
Hi everybody.
I am wondering how Canadian employers evaluate/recognize a bioscience-related PhD degree from a first class UK university. I mean compared to Canadian degrees, how likely is a UK graduate to win a job/academic position?

Has anyone had any related experience or any opinions.
Do you know about any website having hints on this.

I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks in advance

trick-r-treat

Jan 18, 2007
That would probably take a little research. Some degrees have absolutely no value at all when you are in a different country.

Ali25

Jan 17, 2007
trick-r-treat said:
That would probably take a little research. Some degrees have absolutely no value at all when you are in a different country.
Thanks trick-r-treat, what you said may be true especially with professional degrees such as a law or medicine professional degree. Even in that case, there are somehow difficult lengthy licensing process which after all means thet the degree is of some value but must be acompanied with a Canadian license
However, what I mean is research and basic science degrees for instance biochemistry, molecular biology, etc. I suppose my question may be wel answered by those PhD or MSc holders of similar degrees from UK who have been job hunting in Canada.
If there is anyone with such experience, that would be of help to me.
After all, Canada was once part of Great Britain Emperor I suppose (If I'm not wrong), and there must be even kind of compatibility between education and research systems of the two countries...

softncool

Star Member
Oct 31, 2006
Pakistan
Dear Ali,
Here is my personal thinking:
I think there is no problem with your PhD from UK. As a PhD most probably either u are going to work in a research organization or in a Educational intitute. I have gone through the Faculty listings of many universities and I found that most of them are Foreign qualified PhD holders. U will need to contact directly to the employer where u want to work, there is no such body or law (like for professionals as mentioned by u)
In case of students: Yes there is a little bit of problem...that is called Froreign Credential Recognition. every Provice has its own set of rules and laws. U will need to contact that recognizing authority of that provice where u want to go.
Thanks
Cool