+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK Police Officer with PR Looking for Jobs

adamfromwales

Feb 3, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
05/01/2018
Hi everyone, I would really appreciate some job related advice.

I recently completed a soft landing in Calgary and spent some time looking around Alberta which was amazing. I'm back in the UK again and continuing to work as a police officer until we can get some kind of plan of action in place but I have come to a complete stop in terms of researching potential job opportunities. It seems that UK police experience is not really recognised any more. Calgary Police for example require 3 years of residency as part of their recruitment terms and having research my options I am doubtful that my experience will be of any real use within the recruitment process.

I have started to look at peace officer roles but again am having difficulty fitting the requirement (i.e. specific Canadian police / peace officer experience / qualifications).

I do have business related / marketing experience prior to policing and have started to do some freelance work in an attempt to broaden my 'recent' experience in preparation of having to move away from policing...

Are there any UK / international police officers who have recently made the move to Canada successfully? What roles did you find? Are there any recommended options within the civilian world? I'd love to know where to focus my efforts so that we can get the ball rolling. This is such an important decision for me and I would love to hear your views and experiences.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you looked into other provinces? Alberta used to recruit in the UK when oil was over $100 and it was hard to recruit people who could make very good money in oil and gas straight away. Times have changed. I would look at linkedin to find some ex UK police working in Alberta (since that's where they were recruiting). They may have some tips or ideas for you.

adamfromwales

Feb 3, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
05/01/2018
Have you looked into other provinces? Alberta used to recruit in the UK when oil was over $100 and it was hard to recruit people who could make very good money in oil and gas straight away. Times have changed. I would look at linkedin to find some ex UK police working in Alberta (since that's where they were recruiting). They may have some tips or ideas for you.
Thanks for the info. Yes, I think we are now going to broaden our search. House prices seem high, job opportunities are not as good as I remember. Thanks for your suggestions, appreciate it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the info. Yes, I think we are now going to broaden our search. House prices seem high, job opportunities are not as good as I remember. Thanks for your suggestions, appreciate it.
You're in for a shock if you think house prices are high in Calgary now. They are pretty reasonable.