+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK husband to Canada- can he work without permit?

DanielleCedar

Aug 7, 2019
Hi there fellow members,

I saw a thread about this from about 4 years ago here but wanted to ask again to make sure the information is still relevant.

My husband and I are looking at having him immigrate to Canada. We are thinking of doing the marriage visa/sponsor spouse option. Currently, he works for an IT company with the UK and has the option to remain employed with them and work remotely from within Canada.

This company is based in the UK and pays him as such. Will he still need to get a work permit to work within Canada?

In the thread I read from a while ago, they were saying that he wouldn't because he is not competing with the Canadian job market and is not working for any Canadians or getting paid by any Canadians. Is this still true? If not, what will he need?

Please let me know if you need any more information from me! Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there fellow members,

I saw a thread about this from about 4 years ago here but wanted to ask again to make sure the information is still relevant.

My husband and I are looking at having him immigrate to Canada. We are thinking of doing the marriage visa/sponsor spouse option. Currently, he works for an IT company with the UK and has the option to remain employed with them and work remotely from within Canada.

This company is based in the UK and pays him as such. Will he still need to get a work permit to work within Canada?

In the thread I read from a while ago, they were saying that he wouldn't because he is not competing with the Canadian job market and is not working for any Canadians or getting paid by any Canadians. Is this still true? If not, what will he need?

Please let me know if you need any more information from me! Thank you!
Yes - this is true. Additionally, the company works for cannot have any Canadian clients or do business in Canada. If his remote work meets all of these requirements, he's good to go.

DanielleCedar

Aug 7, 2019
Yes - this is true. Additionally, the company works for cannot have any Canadian clients or do business in Canada. If his remote work meets all of these requirements, he's good to go.
Ah- the company he works for DOES have some Canadian companies as clients as far as I am aware. Will he need to get a work permit then? If so, is there a special kind he needs? Also thank you for the swift response!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ah- the company he works for DOES have some Canadian companies as clients as far as I am aware. Will he need to get a work permit then? If so, is there a special kind he needs? Also thank you for the swift response!
Yes - he would need to get a work permit if there are Canadian customers / clients / companies involved - however his options for getting one are limited. Basically two options:

1) You both move to Canada and you sponsor him using the inland method and include an open work permit with the application package. The open work permit will be approved approximately four months after the complete application is received. The open work permit allows him to work for anyone. Downside is that he won't be able to work from the time he arrives in Canada until the OWP is received (so at least four months of not being able to work).

2) If he is 30 years old or younger, put his name in the pool for the IEC / Working Holiday Visa program. This would grant him an open work permit if he is selected. Downside is that program only issues a limited number of work permits each year and they are all gone for this year. Also, the program is way over-subscribed each year (i.e. far more people enter the pool than are selected).

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
OR of course, you sponsor him outland while he or you both remain in the UK, theen move when he is approved (12 months is the norm)