+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK expereinced Nurse to Canada

jodiew13

Feb 11, 2017
I am a registered UK nurse with 3 years(1 year in ICU) of nursing experience with NHS UK.

1) what qualification do UK nurses need to work as a registered nurse in Canada?

2. Has anyone moved to Canada with a nursing diploma and did they need to do any additional qualification?

3. Does it help to top up your UK nursing diploma to a degree before moving to Canada?

4. Does anyone have any experience of being a UK registered nurse who has made the move to Canada and is now working as a registered nurse? are there any tips or advice you would give?

5) What is the time frame I can look at to get a work permit or PR of Canada and get a nursing job? I am interested in Toronto/ Vancouver.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,
Jodie

Pipis Husband

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
06-06-2015
jodiew13 said:
I am a registered UK nurse with 3 years(1 year in ICU) of nursing experience with NHS UK.

1) what qualification do UK nurses need to work as a registered nurse in Canada?

2. Has anyone moved to Canada with a nursing diploma and did they need to do any additional qualification?

3. Does it help to top up your UK nursing diploma to a degree before moving to Canada?

4. Does anyone have any experience of being a UK registered nurse who has made the move to Canada and is now working as a registered nurse? are there any tips or advice you would give?

5) What is the time frame I can look at to get a work permit or PR of Canada and get a nursing job? I am interested in Toronto/ Vancouver.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,
Jodie
All your questions can be answered at this thread. Follow the conversations there, http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/national-nursing-assessment-centre-nnas-t256901.0.html

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
jodiew13 said:

1) You will need a minimum of a 4 year nursing degree.
2. A diploma will not be enough. It must be a 4 year university program.

3. I would not recommend "topping up" your nursing education in the UK. You will just be wasting your time and money. You will be better off doing that while in Canada because Canadian licensing bodies don't automatically accept education from outside of Canada so the only way to guarantee they will even accept the courses you take is to take them in Canada.

4. Currently, very few internationally educated nurses are making it through the licensing process in Canada. This includes nurses educated in UK, US, Australia. This has been the case since NNAS was implemented in 2014.

5) I'm not sure how long it would take to become a PR or get a work permit. But I know that to get a nursing license you should expect it to take a very minimum of one year although it's probably more like 1.5 years minimum. The first step of the application process is NNAS, which costs $650 CAD. Most who are educated internationally, including US educated, receive a "non comparable" report. Then they have to apply to the licensing body in the province where they want to work and pay that fee. Then the licensing body will likely ask them to take another test which ranges from $500-$1900 CAD. This test is to prove you have skills and knowledge equivalent to a Canadian nursing graduate. If you pass that, you will have to then do the NCLEX-RN licensing exam. In Ontario, you will also need to do a jurisprudence exam ($40). So this all takes time, as NNAS itself could take months and months.
The job market is very competitive in Toronto and Vancouver and you would be competing with Canadian-educated nurses. You will likely have to start out working in a more remote/rural community where they need nurses in order to gain Canadian experience before you can be considered for a nursing position in a larger city.

milpajz08

Oct 13, 2013
Hi/ I am new here.Can anyone put the links for UK nurses planning to migrate to Canada. Thanks for your help in advance

Auror888

Feb 17, 2022
Hi there, how can a UKRN migrate to Canada as nurse? I would really love some advice. Is there a specific program available to nurses right now? Or would Express Entry be the quickest route? Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there, how can a UKRN migrate to Canada as nurse? I would really love some advice. Is there a specific program available to nurses right now? Or would Express Entry be the quickest route? Thank you
You’ll need to look but PNP may be the better option because there hasn’t been a draw for FSWP in a while. There are struggles in the NHS but Nurses are also struggling in Canada so depending on why you are moving have realistic expectations. The UK population is older than Canada but we have similar stresses.

charleighb123

Sep 5, 2022
Hi guys,
This is my first post on this forum.
I am a UK RN with 10 years experience in Accident and Emergency I am currently NHS band 7 sister.
As we only do 3 year adult program BSc in UK could I apply to NNAS as LPN and then once I get settled in Canada top up my existing qualifications?
My partner is a UK national also. He's a police officer.
Is it a pointless exercise to go down the Express Entry route ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi guys,
I am a UK RN with 10 years experience in Accident and Emergency I am currently NHS band 7 sister.
As we only do 3 year adult program BSc in UK could I apply to NNAS as LPN and then once I get settled in Canada top up my existing qualifications?
Express Entry is separate from NNAS so first are you eligible for EE based on ECA for degree and IELTS, as well as spouse’s degree and IELTS. IF you are then you start the NNAS process, and NNAS assesses your nursing credentials and then you can get your provincial license. You still need be eligible and invited with a high enough score to immigrate through Express Entry or PNP programs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys,
Getting PR will likely be the easy part. Getting PR through one of the express entry programs as a healthcare professional is quite easy these days a,though may take some time, Getting licensed as a nurse is the biggest issue. I would enquire through each province to see what are the current relicensing requirements. It is also currently difficult to move provinces as work as a nurse so only get licensed in a province you want to live in. This is one of the things that is hopefully being worked on to help staffing issues and will hopefully get easier. Would also look into job opportunities for your partner in law enforcement. It can be very difficult to get a job in a police force. I have a cousin in law enforcement and it took him years to get accepted into the police a academy with a bachelors, volunteering lots of time as essentially free policing with the force, etc. Gave up and worked as a prison guard for a few years before getting accepted into the police academy and getting a job. Most cities only accept people into the academy if they know the city will be hiring. It is easier to get accepted into the RCMP but postings, at least initially, are usually quite remote or very rural which is not what many people want. Being a PR versus a citizen may also be an issue for certain law enforcement jobs mostly due to security clearance reasons.