+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK driving licence in Canada

Makii

Oct 3, 2013
Hello everyone,
I have got uk full driving licence A,B and C.Is there any chance to keep my full licence when obtaining a Canadian one?
Myself and my girlfriend seriously thinking about moving over to Canada.We've been there this summer for three weeks and it was fantastic.I am a couch driver for a last 6 years and wanted to start working in Canada in this industry this is why having my uk licence categories repected in Canada would be crucial for me.Ontario and Alberta we are talking about.

Anyone can help :) Regards Makii

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The various provinces in Canada have individual arrangements with different jurisdictions for exchange of driving licences. The exchange saves you having to do a test or a series of tests. Exchange agreements limit what categories can be considered so you most likely will have to take a test to drive coaches whereas you would be ok for a regular sized passenger vehicle. You are mean't to have only the one license - your UK licence will be taken from you and sent to DVLA or other relevant agency depending on which of the 'UK nations' you received your licence from i.e England, Wales, Scotland, NI etc.

But before you can do all this go the cic website and check the available routes for immigration and employment leading to residence.

Makii

Oct 3, 2013
Thanks for so quick ryply :)

To be very honest my hole moving thing is mostly based on my ability of my driving skills.This is what I want to do at start.
It is just very hard to find a clarify answer to my question.I went to To get some answers to 179Harrow road in London to this Battleship building where you get visas from(well you just can get temporary vise there) but they just send me back to their website...hhhhhrrrr.If you know anything elese that would help me in get more info in general about moving to Canada and exchanging driving lincence or aplying for one please do so.Thanks again :)

Makii

Oct 3, 2013
Msafiri said:
The various provinces in Canada have individual arrangements with different jurisdictions for exchange of driving licences. The exchange saves you having to do a test or a series of tests. Exchange agreements limit what categories can be considered so you most likely will have to take a test to drive coaches whereas you would be ok for a regular sized passenger vehicle. You are mean't to have only the one license - your UK licence will be taken from you and sent to DVLA or other relevant agency depending on which of the 'UK nations' you received your licence from i.e England, Wales, Scotland, NI etc.

But before you can do all this go the cic website and check the available routes for immigration and employment leading to residence.
Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify Remove messageRemove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for so quick ryply Smiley

To be very honest my hole moving thing is mostly based on my ability of my driving skills.This is what I want to do at start.
It is just very hard to find a clarify answer to my question.I went to To get some answers to 179Harrow road in London to this Battleship building where you get visas from(well you just can get temporary vise there) but they just send me back to their website...hhhhhrrrr.If you know anything elese that would help me in get more info in general about moving to Canada and exchanging driving lincence or aplying for one please do so.Thanks again Smiley

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can see info for AB here: http://www.servicealberta.ca/1671.cfm Note that is says "class 5". In AB, that is a regular license. However, the registries that issue your license in AB are private and the staff may not know the rules for everything so it is possible that you would get your coach license too by mistake. I have heard of such cases. If not, you would have to go to driving school to get your coach license in AB.

The info for Ontario is here: http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/exchange-foreign-drivers-licence and I would assume too that they would just give you a regular license, in Ontario known as class G. You can google and contact driving schools to find out about the cost of getting a coach license in Canada.