+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK Citizen with Expired PR Card, Canadian Spouse wanting to move back to Toronto

ukcitizen101

Apr 20, 2017
I obtained my PR in Canada in May 2010. I lived and worked in Canada with my spouse until 2014 sept when I moved back to UK with my Canadian spouse to UK to live and work in UK. Now 2017 April, we want to move back to Canada. My PR card expired in July 2015 and that time I did not renew it because I thought we will stay in UK forever. Now my spouse wants to go back within a month and I don't have valid PR card. What are my options. Do I need Permanent resident travel document or can I enter as UK citizen with eta and apply PR card once we are setttled back in Toronto.

Does my spouse need to sponsor me all again? thanks a lot!

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
If you stayed 2 out of last 5 years in Canada then you're still PR. Apply PRTD or enter via USA by private vehicle and apply for PR card renewal.

ukcitizen101

Apr 20, 2017
Thanks. So in regards to PRTD document checklist (IMM 5627), I am very confused on section 8. I am in UK, so dont have much paperwork from Canada except old house deeds, and bills from hydro and heat. And last two years i earned entirely in UK, not a penny in Canada. AS for last two years of UK earnings and rentals- do I need to submit UK docs or just Canadian relevant docs out of last 5 years? Thanks again!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ukcitizen101 said:
I lived and worked in Canada with my spouse until 2014 sept when I moved back to UK with my Canadian spouse to UK to live and work in UK.
As long as you're living with your Canadian citizen spouse, you will always be in compliance with the residency obligation so don't need to worry about the 2 in 5 years requirement.

You do not qualify for eTA since you're a PR. The only way to board an airplane to Canada is with a valid PR card or PR TD.

From the checklist for PR TD, just submit as much as you can and give explanation for the rest. In your case the main proofs you need to submit is that your spouse is a Canadian citizen, and that you've been living with her all this time. Note the PR TD process may take a few weeks and you need to provide your physical passport, so don't leave to the last minute.

If you don't want to go through PR TD process, then you can alternatively travel to USA and cross into Canada at land border (where no PR TD nor PR Card is necessary).

Once back in Canada, you can then apply to renew your PR card.