+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK citizen emigrating to marry Canadian - Advice needed

uk

Nov 6, 2007
Hi I am a UK citizen in a 2 year relationship with a canadian citizen. We wish to live together and I've worked out we need to marry. The biggest question is where do we marry - does that make a difference and then where do I live - in the UK and wait or in Canada and wait. Also if I'm in Canada I presume I can't work and if I keep my job in the UK I can't live in Canada.
Any advice from anyone would be appreciated.
Thank you.

PRS

Apr 3, 2006
You don't have to get married in Canada, but the marriage must be considered legal by Canadian law. I honestly have no idea if a marriage in the UK is legal in canada, but I can't imagine if it's legal in the UK why it wouldn't be legal in Canada.
Your spouse would then sponsor you for permanent residence. You can apply from within Canada, but you have to have legal status there as a visitor. It's true that you cannot work until you receive PR. I think you can apply for an open work permit once you receive AIP, but that takes approx 7 months to receive.
If you apply outside Canada and remain in the UK you can work at home and your application will go through much quicker. The timelines are shorter for outside appicants. You can view the timelines on the CIC website.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Get married in the UK, then have your spouse go back to Canada and apply to sponsor you as a member of the family class.

You stay in the UK and continue to work until your application to immigrate is approved.

Best of luck.