+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK - Canada advice

joe8861

Feb 1, 2021
Hi all,

My fiance and I lived in Canada (Vancouver) from 2017 to October last year. During that time, we applied for PR but left the country to return to the UK in October. Our Pr has now been approved (January) and we would like to get some advice ahead of returning to Canada, specifically:

- How long do we have to enter the country? Can this be delayed at all?
- If we fly in to activate the PR, can we then come back to the UK ahead of a permanent move at a later date?
- My fiance is now pregnant! Expected due date around October 1st. Is there anything we should bare in mind regarding entering with a baby due or new born baby?

Appreciate any answers to the above plus any additional advice you may have!

Thanks,

Joe

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My fiance and I lived in Canada (Vancouver) from 2017 to October last year. During that time, we applied for PR but left the country to return to the UK in October. Our Pr has now been approved (January) and we would like to get some advice ahead of returning to Canada, specifically:
Under which programme did you qualify and get approved? It is application for you both to become PRs?

joe8861

Feb 1, 2021
Under which programme did you qualify and get approved? It is application for you both to become PRs?
Sorry, should have said! It was through express entry. We both applied and have both been approved (she is the primary applicant, I was a dependent.)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

- How long do we have to enter the country? Can this be delayed at all?
- If we fly in to activate the PR, can we then come back to the UK ahead of a permanent move at a later date?
- My fiance is now pregnant! Expected due date around October 1st. Is there anything we should bare in mind regarding entering with a baby due or new born baby?

Appreciate any answers to the above plus any additional advice you may have!

Thanks,

Joe
1) How long you have to land will be indicated on your PR visa / COPR. Note that landing isn't allowed right now due to COVID so you may need to request an extension on your COPR depending on when the rules change / the expiry date on your visa.
2) Yes (although not right now due to travel restrictions)
3) You want to aim to travel to Canada and land before the baby is born. If you don't manage to do this, you'll need to request that the baby be added to your application as a dependent which will involve additional paperwork and waiting.

Reactions: armoured

joe8861

Feb 1, 2021
1) How long you have to land will be indicated on your PR visa / COPR. Note that landing isn't allowed right now due to COVID so you may need to request an extension on your COPR depending on when the rules change / the expiry date on your visa.
2) Yes (although not right now due to travel restrictions)
3) You want to aim to travel to Canada and land before the baby is born. If you don't manage to do this, you'll need to request that the baby be added to your application as a dependent which will involve additional paperwork and waiting.
Hi Scylla,

Thank you so much for your advice - especially on the baby front! My initial thoughts were that we would want to enter before the baby arrives so thank you for confirming my suspicions.

Joe

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Depending on where you are moving there are wait times to qualify for healthcare. These are currently waived in most provinces due to covid but definitely something you should consider or else you could be paying for a delivery. You also must remain in one province for 6-12 month to qualify for healthcare so make sure to move to a province expecting to stay if you are giving birth soon after arrival.