+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Uhaul rental truck / cargo van question

yalgar

Oct 13, 2013
My family is now moving back into Canada. So am planning to get my stuff in USA into Canada border using uhaul.

Firstly, as a PR, I know I cannot drive in a US titled car.

But does it also apply to Uhauls or cargo vans from enterprise?
Also, Is there a problem if I return the van/truck in Buffalo, ie have another entry in USA. I noticed that returning a uhaul one way in Buffalo is 3 times cheaper than at Toronto

Please respond. Need to plan asap

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

yalgar said:
My family is now moving back into Canada. So am planning to get my stuff in USA into Canada border using uhaul.

Firstly, as a PR, I know I cannot drive in a US titled car.

But does it also apply to Uhauls or cargo vans from enterprise?
Also, Is there a problem if I return the van/truck in Buffalo, ie have another entry in USA. I noticed that returning a uhaul one way in Buffalo is 3 times cheaper than at Toronto

Please respond. Need to plan asap
1. As a PR you can drive the US truck in Canada, as long as you only drive to the destination and not use it as regular transportation in Canada. See: http://cbsa.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-4-1-eng.html

(c) in the case of a resident other than a commuter, the conveyance is to be imported only for the purpose of transporting his household or personal effects into or out of Canada, or for personal transportation as a result of an emergency or unforeseen contingency;

(e) the conveyance is not to be used in Canada for the purpose of

(i) touring or other leisure activity,
(ii) carrying passengers or goods for hire or reward,
(iii) transporting goods for sale, or
(iv) soliciting sales or subscriptions on behalf of an employer who operates a business in Canada;

(f) at the time of importation, the person importing the conveyance specifies to the customs officer the date on which that person intends to export the conveyance from Canada

2. You can return it to Buffalo.