+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UBER DRIVER

Aug 17, 2019
I'm an Uber driver here in Nigeria, so due to the economic situation here, I'll like to emmigrate to canada to be an Uber driver with my family. What are the necessary steps to take?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

gir_8

Nov 23, 2014
Hello Everyone,

1. I am a permanent resident of Nova Scotia, Canada from 2019 and a valid NS Class 5 drivers license valid till September 2025.

2. Having struggled for a year in the Canadian job market during a pandemic period, I decided to apply for delivery services like UberEats. After processing for almost 2 months, I got UberEats activated but observed only few deliveries 1-2 max per day and the per delivery pay is only $3-4.

3. As I learned Uber rides also started its services in Halifax in December 2020, I inquired with the Uber Support and I was told that I am eligible for UberX. Accordingly, I followed their in-app process, spent my time, money and energy to get all the documents viz. RCMP background check, RMV Driver's extract, Child Abuse registry check etc.

4. I noticed that the Uber support team rejected my driver's extract a couple of times. On enquiring, I was told that the Driver needs to have three years experience. On checking Uber.com-(https://www.uber.com/ca/en/drive/requirements/?city=halifax), I found that it only requires driver's to have 3 years of experience (It doesn't specify that the experience has to be local-NS, Canada). However, Uber Support clarified that Driver needs to have local driving experience.

5. I found this condition of three years of Canadian experience discriminatory in nature, so I checked the Canada Human Rights Act to double-check. In Summary-
  • The Canadian Human Rights Act prohibits any kind of condition that restricts employment or work to newcomers/ permanent residents of Canada.
  • If the Uber policy is intended drivers to have three years driving experience in Nova Scotia, it essentially means the newcomers even after having Full valid NS driver's license
(i) they need to have three years of Canadian Experience
(ii) their international driving experience is not valid (Although Access NS RMV considers international driving experience to issue full license on the basis of only written test and a road test)
(iii) they are at a disadvantaged position as compared to other fellow Canadians/ PR holders who are having three years of experience.

All these are interpreted as "Discrimination" as per the Law of the Land in Canada.
  • Having researched, I noticed there are several case laws, recent being in Ontario wherein the Human Rights Tribunal allowed refugees to be exempted from One year waiting period to get the full G License if they can produce a driving license from their home country which is valid for at least two in the last three years (Read: Link).
6. I have highlighted the above policy issue to the Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi, Matthew Price-GM, Uber Canada but there is no response till date. In fact, Uber in-app support has stopped responding to my request and my Uber Driver registration is still incomplete.

Having gone through above, can anyone help me understand/ evaluate whether Uber Canada is allowed by the law of Canada to impose such conditions requiring permanent residents/ newcomers to have three years of Canadian experience, and discriminate against them although they are otherwise qualified to do the job?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Everyone,

1. I am a permanent resident of Nova Scotia, Canada from 2019 and a valid NS Class 5 drivers license valid till September 2025.

2. Having struggled for a year in the Canadian job market during a pandemic period, I decided to apply for delivery services like UberEats. After processing for almost 2 months, I got UberEats activated but observed only few deliveries 1-2 max per day and the per delivery pay is only $3-4.

3. As I learned Uber rides also started its services in Halifax in December 2020, I inquired with the Uber Support and I was told that I am eligible for UberX. Accordingly, I followed their in-app process, spent my time, money and energy to get all the documents viz. RCMP background check, RMV Driver's extract, Child Abuse registry check etc.

4. I noticed that the Uber support team rejected my driver's extract a couple of times. On enquiring, I was told that the Driver needs to have three years experience. On checking Uber.com-(https://www.uber.com/ca/en/drive/requirements/?city=halifax), I found that it only requires driver's to have 3 years of experience (It doesn't specify that the experience has to be local-NS, Canada). However, Uber Support clarified that Driver needs to have local driving experience.

5. I found this condition of three years of Canadian experience discriminatory in nature, so I checked the Canada Human Rights Act to double-check. In Summary-
  • The Canadian Human Rights Act prohibits any kind of condition that restricts employment or work to newcomers/ permanent residents of Canada.
  • If the Uber policy is intended drivers to have three years driving experience in Nova Scotia, it essentially means the newcomers even after having Full valid NS driver's license

• Having researched, I noticed there are several case laws, recent being in Ontario wherein the Human Rights Tribunal allowed refugees to be exempted from One year waiting period to get the full G License if they can produce a driving license from their home country which is valid for at least two in the last three years (Read: Link).
6. I have highlighted the above policy issue to the Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi, Matthew Price-GM, Uber Canada but there is no response till date. In fact, Uber in-app support has stopped responding to my request and my Uber Driver registration is still incomplete.

Having gone through above, can anyone help me understand/ evaluate whether Uber Canada is allowed by the law of Canada to impose such conditions requiring permanent residents/ newcomers to have three years of Canadian experience, and discriminate against them although they are otherwise qualified to do the job?

Thanks!
None of us here are lawyers so we'll just be guessing at the answer. I think you need to speak to a labour lawyer for an opinion if you really want to pursue this.

gir_8

Nov 23, 2014
None of us here are lawyers so we'll just be guessing at the answer. I think you need to speak to a labour lawyer for an opinion if you really want to pursue this.
It's not that complicated. I just wanted to understand the overall experience and response. I have already written to respective Human Rights Commission.

Look at the example: (http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/iii-principles-and-concepts/3-grounds-discrimination-definitions-and-scope-protection)

Example: An employer’s job advertisement lists “Canadian experience” as a requirement. This excludes a number of immigrants and refugees from consideration. Such a requirement may constitute discrimination because it has a negative impact on people who may lack "local" experience due to citizenship or other Code grounds such as race, place of origin or ethnic origin, although they are otherwise qualified to do the job.

lonelyguy

Apr 21, 2015
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb09
Doc's Request.
June/10th
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
April 23rd
Med's Done....
Done before(January),renewed, April 2016
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
May/09th/16
VISA ISSUED...
May 17th/16.
LANDED..........
22nd/2016
Hello Everyone,

Thanks!
Take them to court,they might end paying you a lot!if you have a good lawyer!

gir_8

Nov 23, 2014
Take them to court,they might end paying you a lot!if you have a good lawyer!
- I have approached NS Human Rights Commission, Ontario Licensing and HRM who designed by-laws for Uber. So far, I have got positive response from Ontario and HRM licensing that the three years driving experience is total - inclusive of international driving experience. From the Ontario message, I could understand that they do include international experience in the extract they issue to Drivers/ Uber.

NSHRC sought certain documents which I provided and it is progressing. Good thing so far- international driving experience is valid. Hopefully, either Uber would have to accept it OR NS authority to consider revising the driving extract inclusive of international experience.

I will share the updates as I receive.