+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UBC's acceptance rate

langtang5

Dec 26, 2008
Hi friends,

I am thinking of applying to UBC and thereafter PR. Does anyone know or have heard of anyone admitting to a MA (arts) program? His/her grades, GPA, background, experiences, test scores, etc. would help me figure out a benchmark? Appreciate responses!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

langtang5 said:
Hi friends,

I am thinking of applying to UBC and thereafter PR. Does anyone know or have heard of anyone admitting to a MA (arts) program? His/her grades, GPA, background, experiences, test scores, etc. would help me figure out a benchmark? Appreciate responses!!
Start here: http://www.grad.ubc.ca/apply/how/require.asp#int

PMM

langtang5

Dec 26, 2008
Thanks PMM. There are now probably no lines in their website that I haven't read. I meet all the requirements and more than that (such as work experience, publications etc.) but that doesn't mean a seat is guaranteed, does it?

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
no, it surely doesn't guarantee a seat. you meet all requirements, that's a great... starting point!

what I suggest you do is: call the department, make an appointment to see the head, or a senior professor.

go there, introduce yourself, briefly mention your experience, and your educational goals. then ask is the department would be a good choice for you.

If they say "no one in our department works on this subject", then you know your chances of getting accepted are very slim.

If they say "oh, we have a prof who just published a book on that, let me call the secretary and see if he/she is in, we can go to his office and I'll introduce you to him/her.", then you know you have a good chance.

When I went to Canada for my MA (in Sociology), before I applied I wrote to the department, asked if they accepted foreigners, what profs might be interested in supervising my work, etc.