+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UBC vs McGill

Riasat94

Feb 16, 2013
Hello,

Well I've gotten offers from several Canadian universities and I've narrowed it down to two final choices. UBC and McGill.
I want to study life sciences and hopefully ace the MCAT and get into a medical school. Which of these two schools is CURRENTLY the most highly ranked. And my primary concern is academic reputation, faculty reputation, student satisfaction and how well the undergrad life science programs are at these schools, not anything else like how the cities, weather, scenery and the nightlife compare. I know McGill has been ranked higher than UBC forever but I've heard rumors that McGill's standards have began to fall in recent years. Is there any truth to this?? Also, which uni CURRENTLY has the better employer reputation??

It might be worth noting that McGill does not have a coop program for science and my offer from UBC is for a coop program. So which one?? :-\

Thank You! :)

trachys

Apr 25, 2013
Riasat94 said:
Hello,

Well I've gotten offers from several Canadian universities and I've narrowed it down to two final choices. UBC and McGill.
I want to study life sciences and hopefully ace the MCAT and get into a medical school. Which of these two schools is CURRENTLY the most highly ranked. And my primary concern is academic reputation, faculty reputation, student satisfaction and how well the undergrad life science programs are at these schools, not anything else like how the cities, weather, scenery and the nightlife compare. I know McGill has been ranked higher than UBC forever but I've heard rumors that McGill's standards have began to fall in recent years. Is there any truth to this?? Also, which uni CURRENTLY has the better employer reputation??

It might be worth noting that McGill does not have a coop program for science and my offer from UBC is for a coop program. So which one?? :-\

Thank You! :)
Apparently, some medical schools require continuous studies: coop.uottawa.ca/en/en-prospective-students/en-faq.asp#28

So that may be something to consider.

mic8400

Star Member
Nov 24, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
McGill is a very highly regarded school, but you need to think in terms of which will better prepare you for your career. Just the name of the school alone won't give you what you need. While it might look nice on the resume/diploma, what you take with you and can contribute in your field is most important.

ravdawg

Star Member
Oct 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unless you are a citizen or have pr already - canadian medical schools don't take international students, maybe a few do, but very few seats.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
ravdawg said:
Unless you are a citizen or have pr already - canadian medical schools don't take international students, maybe a few do, but very few seats.
This is the key point, it is almost impossible for an international student to attend a Canadian medical school -- AND, most Canadian medical schools recruit from a limited geographic area. Some Ontario universities are an exception to this. The reputation of UBC and McGill is not so far apart that this will be decisive for you -- in Canada, most Tier I schools are considered to be basically equivalent. People have been saying McGill is in decline ever since I went to the University of Toronto in 1990; sort of like how Brazil is always the 'country of the future'.

So what should you do? Go to McGill and learn French in addition to getting an excellent education. French will dramatically expand the range of schools where you can apply to study medicine, and it will be a perfectly fine base for applying to the States as well. For some reason McGill is granted a sort-of de-facto Ivy League status in the States, even though U of T is better . . .

neoseal

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
This is the world university ranking, just play around with Region and Subjects.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2013-14/world-ranking