+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

U.S. citizen traveling to U.S. after landing

mastersboy

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
Hope someone senior can help me out with the following question:

1. Can a U.S. citizen travel to U.S. and come back by plane after landing and before PR card comes in the mail?

2. If asked the purpose of travel (U.S. to Canada) by airline staff, is it OK to say that I am a PR but don't have the PR card yet? Would they allow me to board the plane? If not, what can I say to the airline staff so they let me board the plane?

Thanks!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013

1. Can a U.S. citizen travel to U.S. and come back by plane after landing and before PR card comes in the mail?

2. If asked the purpose of travel (U.S. to Canada) by airline staff, is it OK to say that I am a PR but don't have the PR card yet? Would they allow me to board the plane? If not, what can I say to the airline staff so they let me board the plane?

Thanks!
1. Yes. As a US citizen, you can board the flight using just your US passport. At Canadian immigration, they can look up your PR status in the system. To be safe, you can bring your copy of CoPR with you to show as proof to the immigration officer
2. Since you can board with your US passport, they will likely not ask you for additional information so don't volunteer that you are a PR without a PR card. Just present your passport and board. In the rare instance that they do ask you, I suppose you can say that you are PR waiting for your card. I'm not sure if you will get hassled or not.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Thanks!
2. Don't mention that you are a PR, as they could refuse to board you without a PR card. If they ask, just say tourism.