+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

U.S. Citizen and Canadian Citizen getting married

Scarecrow02

Aug 3, 2011
I am a U.S. Citizen, live and work in the U.S. My fiance is a Canadian Citizen and lives and works in Canada.
I am confused about what happens if we get married. What if we just get married in the U.S., what happens next? Can we go back and forth freely, does she need to sponsor me?
We both hope to retire in the next 5 years and would like to travel back and forth at our will if possible.

CandC2009

Star Member
Mar 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11/2010
AOR Received.
31/03/2011
File Transfer...
26/01/2011 (Buffalo received)
Med's Done....
10/2010
would you be living together? (both in US on a full time basis or both in Canada on a full time basis)

Scarecrow02

Aug 3, 2011
We would like to keep a residence in both the U.S. and Canada. Initially we would probably be living together in Canada but would like to go back and forth if possible.

CandC2009

Star Member
Mar 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11/2010
AOR Received.
31/03/2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
10/2010
Scarecrow02 said:
We would like to keep a residence in both the U.S. and Canada. Initially we would probably be living together in Canada but would like to go back and forth if possible.
well if you plan on living in Canada you will have to apply for Perminant Residance. Your wife will have to prove strong ties to Canada every time she crosses the border (job, house etc) and you having perminant residance in Canada will help.

Either way I think you will have to either get her a green card or you will have to get perminant residance

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I`m not sure I understand your questions and the basis for them....but assuming that your fiancee is interested in sponsoring you for Canadian PR as a member of the family class, if your question is whether it makes a difference which country - USA or Canada - you get married in.....no, it does not. My husband came to the U.S. for the first time when we got married, he used his Driver's License Plus to cross the border as well as to take out a marriage license in Virginia, with no problems. As a U.S. citizen, you`ll typically be allowed to enter Canada and stay for 6 months without any status in Canada. What`s the purpose of traveling `back and forth` between the two countries when you retire?
Scarecrow02 said:
I am a U.S. Citizen, live and work in the U.S. My fiance is a Canadian Citizen and lives and works in Canada.
I am confused about what happens if we get married. What if we just get married in the U.S., what happens next? Can we go back and forth freely, does she need to sponsor me?
We both hope to retire in the next 5 years and would like to travel back and forth at our will if possible.

Scarecrow02

Aug 3, 2011
I plan on keeping my house in the U.S. and have family and friends that I would like to visit as I see fit. She has a similar situation in Canada with family and plans on keeping her house there.

If I apply for PR in Canada will I still be free to come back to the U.S. and stay as long as we like and then return to Canada and do the same?

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you apply Outland, you are free to enter or leave Canada as you like with no affect on the processing of your application. If you attain permanent resident status in Canada, you must live in Canada 2 years out of 5 and 183 days in a year so maintain your permanent residency. Sorry for the earlier punctuation - I inadvertently switched my keyboard to French (who knows how to fix that É).
Scarecrow02 said:
I plan on keeping my house in the U.S. and have family and friends that I would like to visit as I see fit. She has a similar situation in Canada with family and plans on keeping her house there.

If I apply for PR in Canada will I still be free to come back to the U.S. and stay as long as we like and then return to Canada and do the same?

CandC2009

Star Member
Mar 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11/2010
AOR Received.
31/03/2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
10/2010
Scarecrow02 said:

She will not be able to stay in the US as long as you like without a green card, the max stay for a Canadian in the US is 6 months.

Scarecrow02

Aug 3, 2011
So if we retire, niether one of us works, we get married...can we spend 6 months in Canada and 6 months in the U.S. with no problems crossing the border?

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Theoretically, yes, if you show that you have considerable ties to your country and she to hers, but it all depends on the border agent, if you choose not to attain status in each other`s country.
Scarecrow02 said:
So if we retire, niether one of us works, we get married...can we spend 6 months in Canada and 6 months in the U.S. with no problems crossing the border?