+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

U-Haul U-Box vs PODS for moving personal goods from USA to Canada

i_luv_cannata

Sep 26, 2017
Hi everyone,
I'm getting ready to permanently move to Canada in the next few weeks.

After some research and inquiries, I found I have these 2 options to transport my belongings from Arizona to Canada:

1. U-Haul U-Box: cost of a single box $2830
2. PODS small box: $4340

Based only on the cost, it seems a very obvious decision to go with the U-Haul U-Box. U-Haul does have more coverage, which U-Pack did not have in the area that I'm moving to.

Material-wise, U-Box is a treated plywood with a tarp cover. PODS is all metal.

So for me the 2 factors that would tip the scale in favor of U-Box would be:
1. Quality of transportation - what is their track record for safe, undamaged deliveries of the U-box.
2. Delivery on schedule - what is their track record for minimal delays. Also ability to track the shipment would be nice.

Would appreciate any inputs from folks who have any experience with U-Haul and/or PODS for really long-distance move (Arizona to Ontario).

Thanks!

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Did you check Upack's flexible options like:

a) Tx Home to Ontario Upack Service Center: Relocube/Trailer will be dropped off at your home in Tx and moved to nearest Service Center in Ontario. You can move your stuff from Ontario Service Center to your Ontario address yourself.

b) Tx Service Center to Ontario Service Center: Same as above except that you move your stuff from Tx home to nearest Tx Service Center yourself.

c) Tx Service Center to Ontario Home

I had used option b) and it came out to be cheaper than PODS and UBox during my move from US east coast to Quebec.

i_luv_cannata

Sep 26, 2017
Did you check Upack's flexible options like:

a) Tx Home to Ontario Upack Service Center: Relocube/Trailer will be dropped off at your home in Tx and moved to nearest Service Center in Ontario. You can move your stuff from Ontario Service Center to your Ontario address yourself.

b) Tx Service Center to Ontario Service Center: Same as above except that you move your stuff from Tx home to nearest Tx Service Center yourself.

c) Tx Service Center to Ontario Home

I had used option b) and it came out to be cheaper than PODS and UBox during my move from US east coast to Quebec.
Actually, UPack came out to be more expensive than U-Box for me. Also, they are fully booked for my dates, so I can't use them anyways.

The only decision for me now is between PODS and U-Box. If the plywood can sustain the journey and Uhaul doesn't mess up the route or logistics, I'd just go with U-Box.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY