+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

U-haul at the border

everydaydano

Oct 2, 2017
Hello,

My wife and I are planning to move to Canada from the US. She is a Canadian citizen, and I'm a US citizen. We have been married for almost four years, and together for six and half. I plan to apply for Permanent Residence in Canada, with her as the sponsor. So the question is, when we move, we plan to just take a U-haul truck to Canada with all our stuff, and then apply using the "within Canada" option so that I can get a work permit. What do we do when we get to the border? I'm wondering if it would be easier to say that I'm her husband and just visiting while helping move her possessions, or if I should just say that I'm planning to apply for the PR spousal option, with documentation to back it up (receipt for payment of fees, marriage certificates, etc.). If the latter, what documentation should we prepare? Any advice appreciated- we don't want to get stuck on the border with a moving truck full of stuff!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Best option is for her to drive the truck across the border and for you to travel separately (i.e. not with the truck or with her). Technically you are not allowed to move to Canada at this time or import your belongings. We've seen people in the past run into significant issues in the past doing what you are planning (of course some have managed to enter without issue). If you want the highest chance of a smooth entry - have her drive the truck over with all of your belongings herself - then you travel separately with minimum possessions (e.g. one small suitcase of clothes) and enter as a visitor.

Reactions: Buletruck