+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two questions about sponsorship

ilovemygf

Dec 23, 2014
Jonesy319 said:
This is still not very clear to me. If you are from the Netherlands what other proof of valid status do you need besides a birth certificate or does the question of 'valid status in country of application' mean Canada? which you don't have but seems not to be an issue.

You have your Dutch passport even if it's about to expire - so why can't you renew your Dutch passport in Canada if you don't want to risk sending it off and leaving you passportless in Canada?

Jonesy
In an email from the embassy I was told the following:

If he would like to apply in Canada, he will need to provide proof of his valid status within the country (valid visa, permanent residence card).
If we mention in the application form that I need new status to get a new passport can't I get new status so I can get a police certificate? When I called a lawyer from this website he said that if I apply I could maybe get valid status again, but it would be risky. If I were to go back I'd urgently need to find some kind of job and a place to stay. I wouldn't be able to come back to Canada anytime soon and waiting for the application to be processed in Vienna would takes 17 months. If we apply inland we'd have more time to save up money.

innosense

Feb 13, 2014
Toronto / Chennai
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-Aug-2014
File Transfer...
IP: 7-Apr-2015
Passport Req..
DM: 30-May-2015
LANDED..........
10-Jun-2015
ilovemygf said:
I'm ready to get married however before I can get a marriage certificate the marriage license has to be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar General to be registered, which takes 10 weeks. My passport will expire next month :(.
You can apply for your marriage license and receive it on the spot . You can then get married any day after 24 hours. True it will take few weeks for the marriage to be registered but your spouse or anyone can order the marriage certificate and send it you in courier.

If your passport gets expired and you have no way to renew it . Can you travel back to your country ? Or r u stuck in Canada ?

Jonesy319

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Elstead, England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2014
AOR Received.
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
ilovemygf said:
In an email from the embassy I was told the following:

If we mention in the application form that I need new status to get a new passport can't I get new status so I can get a police certificate? When I called a lawyer from this website he said that if I apply I could maybe get valid status again, but it would be risky. If I were to go back I'd urgently need to find some kind of job and a place to stay. I wouldn't be able to come back to Canada anytime soon and waiting for the application to be processed in Vienna would takes 17 months. If we apply inland we'd have more time to save up money.
Any reason why you can't travel back to The Netherlands, take your GF with you, get married there, renew your passport and go back to Canada?

Looks like it's a no-win for you to stay in Canada - the risk of leaving is that you might not get back but if over-stay hasn't been an issue for others and you marry your GF and can prove your relationship then it might not be an issue for you too.

This is all conjecture - I have no experience with this and if the laws are changing rapidly, ask for a recommendation on this board if anyone has a good lawyer in Canada - pay for an hour of his/her time and get some good advice. That is what I would do in the first place.

Good luck
Jonesy