+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two PRTD applications in same PR portal login or need to create different PR portal login for different applications

VVPR

Jan 17, 2023
Hi, I need to apply for PRTD for me and my wife. Can I create a new application for my wife inside my PR portal login or I need to create a new PR portal login for her and create a new application there? Thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi, I need to apply for PRTD for me and my wife. Can I create a new application for my wife inside my PR portal login or I need to create a new PR portal login for her and create a new application there? Thanks
for some context . . .
I received eCoPR recently while in Canada (WP to PR) and flew to India a day after. I am now trying to apply for PRTD but the PRTD link is greyed out on the PR portal and is not clickable. My photo is still in review with IRCC and the PR cards are not dispatched yet. Any idea why is the link blocked and how do I apply for the PRTD online? Pls help as its urgent.
I am not familiar with the mechanics of using the PR account portal for making a PR TD application, since this is not accessible to someone like me who was a PR in the past but has been a Canadian citizen for years.

However, I can say that PR status in Canada is individual. That means the status of every PR, including young children as well as spouses, is independent. While some applications PRs might make can be submitted together, such applications for a PR card or for citizenship, each PR has to make their own application (which then, in some circumstances, can then be grouped together to submit). So, while I cannot absolutely confirm this precisely applies to using the PR account portal, it most likely does -- meaning, yes, it is most likely a spouse will need to have their own PR account to use the PR account portal to make their own PR TD application. Just like a spouse would need to complete and submit their own IMM 5444 application for a PR TD if making the application without using the PR account portal.

Reminder:

If you are residents of the U.S. (having legal status to reside in the U.S.), you can fly to U.S. location near Canadian border and use land transportation to cross the border into Canada without the need to obtain a PR Travel Document (your passport and some Canadian documentation corroborating identity, will allow Port-of-Entry officials to confirm your identity and PR status in Canada, and even though there might be a referral to Secondary to confirm your identity and status, that should be brief and not problematic). Otherwise, if you are not residents of the U.S., obviously you have posed this query in the wrong forum (this forum is specifically for U.S. residents moving to Canada). While there is no guarantee, you are more likely to get more and better response if you post PR related queries in the PR Obligations forum here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/permanent-residency-obligations.11/

Neuro

Jul 17, 2021
Apply for your wife on the same portal. First, fill your application and add another for your wife. No, need to create separate portal id for your wife. Write in cover letter that you both are applying and signed by both of you.