wetjetter

Jan 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

We're in the midst of preparing our family class visa application and have a few random questions that we can't find definitive answers to on here, as of yet - or perhaps my researching skills need brushing up upon! ;D For those in the know, if you don't mind answering the following:

* After you've submitting your application and documents to the CIC and a decision has been made in your case, have your documents been returned to you?

*I've noticed many posters referring to applying for ATIP and GCMS notes from the CIC. First of all, what is the difference between the two?

Second, I've ordered GCMS notes from the CIC in the past due to our TRV being refused on the first try, in order to understand the VO's line of thinking. I understand their purpose, but I'm wondering why many posters on here order ATIP and GCMS notes during the process of their PR? Have you felt anxious as to what's going on with your case? Should I be prepared to order these notes after applying, and when should I do so?

Many thanks for your help. :)

Masriixo

Jul 5, 2015
App. Filed.......
April 15th, 2015
LANDED..........
June 20th, 2017
wetjetter said:
Hi all,

We're in the midst of preparing our family class visa application and have a few random questions that we can't find definitive answers to on here, as of yet - or perhaps my researching skills need brushing up upon! ;D For those in the know, if you don't mind answering the following:

* After you've submitting your application and documents to the CIC and a decision has been made in your case, have your documents been returned to you?

*I've noticed many posters referring to applying for ATIP and GCMS notes from the CIC. First of all, what is the difference between the two?

Second, I've ordered GCMS notes from the CIC in the past due to our TRV being refused on the first try, in order to understand the VO's line of thinking. I understand their purpose, but I'm wondering why many posters on here order ATIP and GCMS notes during the process of their PR? Have you felt anxious as to what's going on with your case? Should I be prepared to order these notes after applying, and when should I do so?

Many thanks for your help. :)
I don't have definite answers but I can give you my opinion. I think they only send back if you sent original documents. There is a section when you order notes that asks if you want a paper file or email (typically people that have there files still in process check email so that it doesn't delay the timing) I think at the end when everything is complete you can choose paper file and they will send you your file back. Again not sure!

I've ordered notes once just to make sure that everything is going well. They recommend to ask or request from 3-4 months after your file had been recieved at your visa office. There's a post started by Eagle that explains notes and what they means etc etc.

i honestly don't know what the difference is between the 2 but I think the access to information is in regards to only Canadian citizens

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
ATIP is one of various acts (laws) that allows you to request information...(hence ATIP request) and GCMS refers to the Global Case Management System which is the database that CIC uses to store and track the information and processing related to your file.

Unfortunately the online system used to show PR application status (ECAS) is much poorer than the TRV online system...and so realisrically the only way you can really know what is happening with your file is to order your GCMS notes via an ATIP request.

Given that the processing times seem to vary from 4 months to mulitple years after sponsor approval...it's understandable that many feel anxious about what is happening to their file. You only need to start reading many of the posts here to get the sense for that.

Timing of ordering notes is important....for example it takes time for a file to reach a VO overseas...and once it does it sits until it's turn comes up for review...information or updates sent to CIC take time to be processed...on top of that you have the 30 day wait to get the info (and some are getting messages after 30 days that it will take another 30 days)...

Check out the Acronym and GCMS notes spreadsheet in my signature block...

Hope this helps.

C

wetjetter

Jan 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chilkootcee said:
ATIP is one of various acts (laws) that allows you to request information...(hence ATIP request) and GCMS refers to the Global Case Management System which is the database that CIC uses to store and track the information and processing related to your file.

Unfortunately the online system used to show PR application status (ECAS) is much poorer than the TRV online system...and so realisrically the only way you can really know what is happening with your file is to order your GCMS notes via an ATIP request.

Given that the processing times seem to vary from 4 months to mulitple years after sponsor approval...it's understandable that many feel anxious about what is happening to their file. You only need to start reading many of the posts here to get the sense for that.

Timing of ordering notes is important....for example it takes time for a file to reach a VO overseas...and once it does it sits until it's turn comes up for review...information or updates sent to CIC take time to be processed...on top of that you have the 30 day wait to get the info (and some are getting messages after 30 days that it will take another 30 days)...

Check out the Acronym and GCMS notes spreadsheet in my signature block...
Many thanks chilkootcee - your spreadsheet is very useful and it's been saved! :)

I think I now understand why and when to order the GCMS notes. Ehen we ordered the GCMS notes after my partner's TRV was refused, we found that the VO completely misinterpreted the application. For example, they believed I was living in Canada when I wasn't (despite sending in my work visa in Malaysia, letters from my employer) and said they didn't believe our relationship was legit. If you ordered the GCMS notes after sending in your PR application and noticed an error such as in my example, is there anything you could do about it? Last, does it harm your PR application in any way if you order the notes?

wetjetter

Jan 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Masriixo said:
I don't have definite answers but I can give you my opinion. I think they only send back if you sent original documents. There is a section when you order notes that asks if you want a paper file or email (typically people that have there files still in process check email so that it doesn't delay the timing) I think at the end when everything is complete you can choose paper file and they will send you your file back. Again not sure!
Thank you Masriixo for sharing your experience. :D

I just realised I wasn't very clear in my line of questioning. I was wondering if after submitting your PR application to the CIC, and they've finished processing your case/a decision has been made, do they return the file to you? I'm wondering because we might be sending in original documents, photos, receipts etc. Obviously, we can take photocopies of everything, but I'd still like to know when we're choosing which pieces of evidence to send in.

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
wetjetter said:
Thank you Masriixo for sharing your experience. :D

I just realised I wasn't very clear in my line of questioning. I was wondering if after submitting your PR application to the CIC, and they've finished processing your case/a decision has been made, do they return the file to you? I'm wondering because we might be sending in original documents, photos, receipts etc. Obviously, we can take photocopies of everything, but I'd still like to know when we're choosing which pieces of evidence to send in.
I would not send any original photos...I would have them digitized...we printed our digital photos out in a word document, with 2 photos per page including the required information (date, place, event, names). The same with receipts (other than the medical document that you get when you do it). Only send originals of what they ask for....everything else can be copies. Some copies (i.e. identity documents) may need to be certified as a true photocopy (i.e. notarized) and translated. This is all spelled out in the various document checklists (go through both the guide and the checklist as sometimes there are slight variations....I think the only original thing outside of what they asked for that we sent were our wedding cards....and to be honest, I wasn't as concerned about getting the originals back (as I usually recycle cards)

Regarding if you find an error on your file after getting your GCMS notes. The only way to communicate with the overseas visa office is to send a case specific enquiry online (if you do this, take screenshots of what you are sending, copy the field text and note any attachments sent) - the case specific enquiry system does not assign a unique reference number to each enquiry so if you need to reference it in the future, it can only be by date / topic (and your evidence of screenshots / their email confirmation if you get one). For this reason, I would not recommend sending more than one enquiry in a day (as we did when we couldn't fit all of the documents in one enquiry). Ensure any attachments are small enough to meet the filesize limits (reduce them where you can without losing readability).

C.

wetjetter

Jan 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chilkootcee said:
Regarding if you find an error on your file after getting your GCMS notes. The only way to communicate with the overseas visa office is to send a case specific enquiry online (if you do this, take screenshots of what you are sending, copy the field text and note any attachments sent) - the case specific enquiry system does not assign a unique reference number to each enquiry so if you need to reference it in the future, it can only be by date / topic (and your evidence of screenshots / their email confirmation if you get one). For this reason, I would not recommend sending more than one enquiry in a day (as we did when we couldn't fit all of the documents in one enquiry). Ensure any attachments are small enough to meet the filesize limits (reduce them where you can without losing readability).

C.
Thank you for your tips - great to know and I feel better knowing that it is indeed possible to indirectly communicate with our VO, in case mistakes are listed in the GCMS notes, as I found many more than the one I previously mentioned from our first TRV application.

Based on your reply, may I ask, did you find errors or misinterpretations in the GCMS notes on your PR application? Were they rectified in the end?

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
wetjetter said:
Thank you for your tips - great to know and I feel better knowing that it is indeed possible to indirectly communicate with our VO, in case mistakes are listed in the GCMS notes, as I found many more than the one I previously mentioned from our first TRV application.

Based on your reply, may I ask, did you find errors or misinterpretations in the GCMS notes on your PR application? Were they rectified in the end?
Only received one set of GCMS notes so far and didn't find any errors. However there were some case specific enquiries that we had made earlier on (likely while the file was in transit between Canada and VO) and so we don't know where they ended up (hence second request a few months later.

C