+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two or More Certificates, Degrees or Diploma - Let's Get it Sorted

Chapman69

Apr 6, 2021
1. It will be UK.

Applicants are instructed to indicate that their education was completed by correspondence by typing in brackets {by correspondence} on the same line as the education institution name found in the Education Background Information tab of GCMS. The discretion remains with the officer to decide if a police certificate is required for the country of the education institution

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

2. It should be Part-time then.
Thanks a lot, this cleared all my doubts.
Although, if i haven't stepped my foot in the UK ever, how can I submit a PCC from UK, doesnt make sense if they request this, correct?I wonder what the other applicants did in such cases.

Zephyrstraint

Apr 13, 2021
Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees

So lately there has been a lot of confusion about the option to choose "Two or more degrees, diploma" in the CRS Calculator. Many people are worried if their qualification comes under this. So lets get it sorted out for once and all.

First of all, when you create an Express Entry profile, there is no such option of selecting "two or more degrees, diplomas" in the Education section. In the EE profile, you just need to enter each of your qualifications, as per ECA. Once you enter all the details, the system calculates the points for Education and Skill Transfer-ability factor, on its own, using this data. So just enter the details as per the ECA and the points will be calculated.

But some people want to know, before creating the EE profile, whether they can claim points for two or more degrees, diplomas.

In that case, first get an ECA for your educational qualifications. Without an ECA, its hard to predict whether you will be eligible to claim points for two or more degrees. Once you have the ECA, please refer to the following link and if your ECA equivalency is mentioned there, you are eligible:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/education-assessed/read-report.html

Many people get confused with the wordings in the above link, where it mentions:

Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees.
Important notice: One must be for a program of three or more years.

ECA assessment results:

A three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree

PLUS any of the results in the sections below (not including secondary/high school), or:
  • Post-Bachelor's Certificate
  • Post-undergraduate certificate
  • Post-Bachelor's Diploma
  • Post-undergraduate diploma
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Graduate Certificate with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Postgraduate certificate
  • Postgraduate Diploma
  • Graduate Diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Graduate diploma
  • two-year Postgraduate Diploma, specializing in [name of discipline]
  • two-year Bachelor’s after degree with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • one-year Postgraduate Certificate in [name of discipline]
  • Dual Bachelor’s degree (four years)
The above highlighted part (in red) specifically mentions that if your ECA Equivalency in mentioned in the below sections too, you are eligible to claim points for two or more degrees.

The sections are:

Bachelor’s degree or other programs (three or more years) at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

Two-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

Please note that you should have at least one of the credential in your ECA must be for 3 or more years, in order to claim the points under this category.

Also, there has been a misconception that the second diploma/degree should be after you earned the bachelor's degree. This is not true, your diploma could have been completed before the bachelor's degree and you will still be eligible.

I hope post will clear all the confusion. If there is any error in my post, please let me know and suggestions are also welcome.
Hiya!

Heaps of people here have asked about their diplomas and such, which has me wondering if I have been a bit dense. According to WES, I just had to send in my Master's degree from a UK uni, which was assessed as equivalent to a Canadian masters. I assume I will get the maximum points for having two certifications *already* without me having to get my Bachelor's assessed in addition?

Will I stand to gain any more points if I go through the trouble of getting my 3 year Bachelor's from NZ assessed, or will the system already give me points for having two certificates? I'm basically ready to submit my EE profile, just ironing out any last minute jitters now! I really hope I don't have to go through the WES process all over again.

Just hoping for some clarity, and thanks so much in advance for your time!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hiya!

Heaps of people here have asked about their diplomas and such, which has me wondering if I have been a bit dense. According to WES, I just had to send in my Master's degree from a UK uni, which was assessed as equivalent to a Canadian masters. I assume I will get the maximum points for having two certifications *already* without me having to get my Bachelor's assessed in addition?

Will I stand to gain any more points if I go through the trouble of getting my 3 year Bachelor's from NZ assessed, or will the system already give me points for having two certificates? I'm basically ready to submit my EE profile, just ironing out any last minute jitters now! I really hope I don't have to go through the WES process all over again.

No you will not get more points for the 3 year bachelor if you have a degree assessed as a Masters.

Zephyrstraint

Apr 13, 2021
No you will not get more points for the 3 year bachelor if you have a degree assessed as a Masters.
Thanks so much for taking the time, Naturgrl, really appreciate it.

Can I ask, why does the official guidance found here - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1129&top=29 - state that EACH credential needs to be assessed as one of its conditions for getting points for 2 or more certifications?

Does getting my Master's assessed by WES count as also having my Bachelor's assessed (given I didn't do the certification in an Indian or Francophile context?).

Cheers!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks so much for taking the time, Naturgrl, really appreciate it.

Can I ask, why does the official guidance found here - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1129&top=29 - state that EACH credential needs to be assessed as one of its conditions for getting points for 2 or more certifications?

Does getting my Master's assessed by WES count as also having my Bachelor's assessed (given I didn't do the certification in an Indian or Francophile context?).

Cheers!
But you aren't getting credit for two or more, You are getting credit for a masters. If you are assessed as equivalent to a Canadian masters, then you select that.

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
Hiya!

You get points for the highest degree, which in your case is a Masters degree. The points for a Masters degree are more than two or more degrees, so you are all set. No need to get you Bachelors assessed as your highest degree, the Masters matters here.

Zephyrstraint

Apr 13, 2021
You get points for the highest degree, which in your case is a Masters degree. The points for a Masters degree are more than two or more degrees, so you are all set. No need to get you Bachelors assessed as your highest degree, the Masters matters here.
Thank you so much, Maverick!

Ron_3110

Apr 28, 2021
Please do not ask whether or not you can claim certain points for your xyz education before getting an ECA report. Different countries have different educational systems thus candidates get different ECA report for similar qualifications. We can help you to interpret your ECA report but CANNOT tell you what would be the ECA report for your degrees, diplomas in advance! Get an ECA report from one of the designated organizations and let us know if you need help!

Here is more clarification for those who think your second credential must be "Post Graduate" program after bachelors to get "two or more degrees" points.

Ministerial Instructions respecting the Express Entry system

Current Ministerial Instructions last amended on October 24, 2017. (Previous versions)

The Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, pursuant to section 10.3Footnotea of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act Footnoteb, gives the annexed Ministerial Instructions Respecting the Express Entry System.

Ottawa, October 17, 2017

AHMED D. HUSSEN
Minister of Citizenship and Immigration

Level of education
(1) The points that are to be assigned for the level of education factor referred to in subparagraph 8(1)(a)(ii) are the following:

• (a) for a foreign national who has no accompanying spouse or common-law partner
    • (i) 0 points, if the foreign national has less than a secondary school credential,
    • (ii) 30 points, if the foreign national has a secondary school credential,
    • (iii) 90 points, if the foreign national has a one-year post-secondary program credential,
    • (iv) 98 points, if the foreign national has a two-year post-secondary program credential,
    • (v) 120 points, if the foreign national has a post-secondary program credential of three years or more,
    • (vi) 128 points, if the foreign national has two or more post-secondary program credentials and at least one of them was issued at the completion of a post-secondary program of three years or more,
    • (vii) 135 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the master’s level or at the level of an entry-to-practice professional degree for an occupation listed in the National Occupational Classification matrix at Skill level A for which licensing by a provincial regulatory body is required, and
    • (viii) 150 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the doctoral level; and
  • (b) for a foreign national who has an accompanying spouse or common-law partner
    • (i) 0 points, if the foreign national has less than a secondary school credential,
    • (ii) 28 points, if the foreign national has a secondary school credential,
    • (iii) 84 points, if the foreign national has a one-year post-secondary program credential,
    • (iv) 91 points, if the foreign national has a two-year post-secondary program credential,
    • (v) 112 points, if the foreign national has a post-secondary program credential of three years or more,
    • (vi) 119 points, if the foreign national has two or more post-secondary program credentials and at least one of them was issued at the completion of a post-secondary program of three years or more,
    • (vii) 126 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the master’s level or an entry-to-practice professional degree for an occupation listed in the National Occupational Classification matrix at Skill level A for which licensing by a provincial regulatory body is require , and
    • (viii) 140 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the doctoral level.
Highest level of education
(2) Points are to be assigned under subsection (1) for the highest level of education obtained.

Educational credentials
(3) In order for a foreign national to be assigned points under subsection (1),

• (a) their educational credentials must be Canadian educational credentials; or
  • (b) they must have an educational credential equivalency assessment in respect of their foreign educational credentials issued by an organization or institution designated under subsection 75(4) of the Regulations.
Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/ministerial-instructions/express-entry-application-management-system.html

Red color marked sentences clearly says "two or more post-secondary program credentials". It is clear that you need one of the Post Secondary credential assessed as Canadian equivalent to 3 or more years program and second one again a Post Secondary credential assessed as Canadian equivalent to minimum 1 year long program!
It does not matter what is your actual level of education or duration, you will be awarded points according to the ECA report. read 11(3)(b)!

Hope it is Crystal clear for everyone!
Firstly thank you very much for your comment, it has really made things crystal clear.

Please find my ECA report below:

CANADA EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY
Bachelor's degree (three years)
CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS
Credential authentication:
Documents were sent directly by the institution
Australia
Credential:
Diploma of Commerce
Year:
Awarded by:
Griffith College
Recognized Program
Institution attended:
Griffith College
Admission requirements:
High School Graduation
Length of program:
One year
Major/specialization:
Commerce

Canadian equivalency:
College-level certificate (one year)
Australia
Credential:
Bachelor Degree
Year:
Awarded by:
Griffith University
Recognized Institution
Institution attended:
Griffith University
Admission requirements:
High School Graduation
Length of program:
Three years
Major/specialization:
Management

Canadian equivalency:
My equivalency summary only mentions my highest level of qualification i.e. Bachelor Degree (3 year) however my credential analysis mention my Diploma which is equivalent to College Level certificate (1 year) and Bachelor Degree (3 years) I have asked WES to amend the summary but they have refused and I also reached out to IRCC via Twitter but the response was very generic and not useful. Do you think based on the above ECA report, am I entitled for EE points of 2 or more Degrees, Diplomas or Certificates?

Reactions: IvanaCo

IvanaCo

Star Member
Aug 10, 2019
Dubai
NOC Code......
I have an a confusion with WES summary. Had my bachelor and diploma assessed and the summary is : Bachelor. However when filling EE profile it asks : Level of education (Canadian equivalent) shown on Education Credential Assessment (ECA) report Your ECA report will tell you if your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian degree, diploma or certificate. You must have the results of an ECA report to answer the question, in the report it says my diploma was equivalent to Completion of a college-level certificate (one year), but no mentions of that in summary.
I did email WES and they said there are no errors therefore the report will remain the same.
So what shall i choose in the section Level of education (Canadian equivalent) shown on Education Credential Assessment (ECA) report Your ECA report will tell you if your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian degree, diploma or certificate. Because I clicked the section one year program at university, college, trade or technical school or other institute and I was awarded points for "two or more degrees". To be honest my crs is low with or without this diploma but I don't want to come into situation if i am selected for PNP that my profile turns ineligible because of misinterpretation of this report

So here bellow is my WES report

CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS
1.Name on Credential:xxx
Credential authentication:Documents were sent directly by the institution
Credential:Bachelor
Year:2011
Awarded by:University of Montenegro
Institution attended:University of Montenegro
Admission requirements:Matura (Secondary School Leaving Diploma)
Length of program:Three years
Major/specialization:Preschool Education

Canadian equivalency:

2.Name on Credential:xxx
Credential:Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care and Children and Young People's Service
Year:2018
Awarded by:NCFE
Institution attended:NCFE
Admission requirements:General Certificate of Education, Advanced Level
Length of program:One year
Major/specialization:Leadership for Health, Social Care, Children and Young People's Services

Canadian equivalency:

Completion of a college-level certificate (one year)

IvanaCo

Star Member
Aug 10, 2019
Dubai
NOC Code......
Firstly thank you very much for your comment, it has really made things crystal clear.

Please find my ECA report below:

CANADA EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY
CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS
Australia
Credential:
Diploma of Commerce
Year:
Awarded by:
Griffith College
Recognized Program
Institution attended:
Griffith College
Admission requirements:
High School Graduation
Length of program:
One year
Major/specialization:
Commerce

Canadian equivalency:
College-level certificate (one year)
Australia
Credential:
Bachelor Degree
Year:
Awarded by:
Griffith University
Recognized Institution
Institution attended:
Griffith University
Admission requirements:
High School Graduation
Length of program:
Three years
Major/specialization:
Management

Canadian equivalency:
My equivalency summary only mentions my highest level of qualification i.e. Bachelor Degree (3 year) however my credential analysis mention my Diploma which is equivalent to College Level certificate (1 year) and Bachelor Degree (3 years) I have asked WES to amend the summary but they have refused and I also reached out to IRCC via Twitter but the response was very generic and not useful. Do you think based on the above ECA report, am I entitled for EE points of 2 or more Degrees, Diplomas or Certificates?
Did you find out about this I have the same issue?

hss2

Jul 19, 2018
I have an a confusion with WES summary. Had my bachelor and diploma assessed and the summary is : Bachelor. However when filling EE profile it asks : Level of education (Canadian equivalent) shown on Education Credential Assessment (ECA) report Your ECA report will tell you if your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian degree, diploma or certificate. You must have the results of an ECA report to answer the question, in the report it says my diploma was equivalent to Completion of a college-level certificate (one year), but no mentions of that in summary.
I did email WES and they said there are no errors therefore the report will remain the same.
So what shall i choose in the section Level of education (Canadian equivalent) shown on Education Credential Assessment (ECA) report Your ECA report will tell you if your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian degree, diploma or certificate. Because I clicked the section one year program at university, college, trade or technical school or other institute and I was awarded points for "two or more degrees". To be honest my crs is low with or without this diploma but I don't want to come into situation if i am selected for PNP that my profile turns ineligible because of misinterpretation of this report

So here bellow is my WES report

CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS
1.Name on Credential:xxx
Credential:Bachelor
Year:2011
Awarded by:University of Montenegro
Institution attended:University of Montenegro
Admission requirements:Matura (Secondary School Leaving Diploma)
Length of program:Three years
Major/specialization:Preschool Education

Canadian equivalency:

2.Name on Credential:xxx
Credential:Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care and Children and Young People's Service
Year:2018
Awarded by:NCFE
Institution attended:NCFE
Admission requirements:General Certificate of Education, Advanced Level
Length of program:One year
Major/specialization:Leadership for Health, Social Care, Children and Young People's Services

Canadian equivalency:

Completion of a college-level certificate (one year)
What does the reporrt summary say?

IvanaCo

Star Member
Aug 10, 2019
Dubai
NOC Code......
What does the reporrt summary say?
It says only bachelor. My issue is- in the field where I add my credentials it asks for both was it evaluated and what is the equivalency which I added yes, college-level certificate 1 year.
If I can not claim “2 or more” what do I have to do as I already opened my express entry profile. How to change this and to avoid rejection if invited? Do I have to remove my diploma?

hss2

Jul 19, 2018
It says only bachelor. My issue is- in the field where I add my credentials it asks for both was it evaluated and what is the equivalency which I added yes, college-level certificate 1 year.
If I can not claim “2 or more” what do I have to do as I already opened my express entry profile. How to change this and to avoid rejection if invited? Do I have to remove my diploma?
You can edit your profile and make necessary changes before getting an ITA,