+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two or More Certificates, Degrees or Diploma - Let's Get it Sorted

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
One is Genera

that means I would not get any point for that 4-months certificate ? Because I only have 2 year diploma
What is Genera? To count two or more degrees, you need a three year diploma or degree. So your education counts as a two year diploma. A 4 month certificate doesn’t give you points.

Kaisoo93

Jan 11, 2018
I earned my bachelor degree in 2006 and have been working since then. I plan to take another Diploma course in order to boost my CRS score. My question is: can I claim points for both working experience before the second education as well as two or more certificates, degree or diploma?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I earned my bachelor degree in 2006 and have been working since then. I plan to take another Diploma course in order to boost my CRS score. My question is: can I claim points for both working experience before the second education as well as two or more certificates, degree or diploma?
You can claim your work experience as long as NOC A, B or 0. What is your ECA for your bachelors? If assessed as as a three year or more, you can claim two or more after completing a one year diploma.

Kaisoo93

Jan 11, 2018
You can claim your work experience as long as NOC A, B or 0. What is your ECA for your bachelors? If assessed as as a three year or more, you can claim two or more after completing a one year diploma.
Thanks for your reply. It means education after working experience also can claim point as long as the previous one is assessed as as three year or more?

Nabil Hasan

Apr 5, 2021
Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees

So lately there has been a lot of confusion about the option to choose "Two or more degrees, diploma" in the CRS Calculator. Many people are worried if their qualification comes under this. So lets get it sorted out for once and all.

First of all, when you create an Express Entry profile, there is no such option of selecting "two or more degrees, diplomas" in the Education section. In the EE profile, you just need to enter each of your qualifications, as per ECA. Once you enter all the details, the system calculates the points for Education and Skill Transfer-ability factor, on its own, using this data. So just enter the details as per the ECA and the points will be calculated.

But some people want to know, before creating the EE profile, whether they can claim points for two or more degrees, diplomas.

In that case, first get an ECA for your educational qualifications. Without an ECA, its hard to predict whether you will be eligible to claim points for two or more degrees. Once you have the ECA, please refer to the following link and if your ECA equivalency is mentioned there, you are eligible:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/education-assessed/read-report.html

Many people get confused with the wordings in the above link, where it mentions:

Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees.
Important notice: One must be for a program of three or more years.

ECA assessment results:

A three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree

PLUS any of the results in the sections below (not including secondary/high school), or:
  • Post-Bachelor's Certificate
  • Post-undergraduate certificate
  • Post-Bachelor's Diploma
  • Post-undergraduate diploma
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Graduate Certificate with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Postgraduate certificate
  • Postgraduate Diploma
  • Graduate Diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Graduate diploma
  • two-year Postgraduate Diploma, specializing in [name of discipline]
  • two-year Bachelor’s after degree with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • one-year Postgraduate Certificate in [name of discipline]
  • Dual Bachelor’s degree (four years)
The above highlighted part (in red) specifically mentions that if your ECA Equivalency in mentioned in the below sections too, you are eligible to claim points for two or more degrees.

The sections are:

Bachelor’s degree or other programs (three or more years) at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

Two-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

Please note that you should have at least one of the credential in your ECA must be for 3 or more years, in order to claim the points under this category.

Also, there has been a misconception that the second diploma/degree should be after you earned the bachelor's degree. This is not true, your diploma could have been completed before the bachelor's degree and you will still be eligible.

I hope post will clear all the confusion. If there is any error in my post, please let me know and suggestions are also welcome.
My ECA assessment says "
Undergraduate certificate (one year) and bachelor's degree (four years)"
Is it eligible for "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees"?

Chapman69

Apr 6, 2021
Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees

So lately there has been a lot of confusion about the option to choose "Two or more degrees, diploma" in the CRS Calculator. Many people are worried if their qualification comes under this. So lets get it sorted out for once and all.

First of all, when you create an Express Entry profile, there is no such option of selecting "two or more degrees, diplomas" in the Education section. In the EE profile, you just need to enter each of your qualifications, as per ECA. Once you enter all the details, the system calculates the points for Education and Skill Transfer-ability factor, on its own, using this data. So just enter the details as per the ECA and the points will be calculated.

But some people want to know, before creating the EE profile, whether they can claim points for two or more degrees, diplomas.

In that case, first get an ECA for your educational qualifications. Without an ECA, its hard to predict whether you will be eligible to claim points for two or more degrees. Once you have the ECA, please refer to the following link and if your ECA equivalency is mentioned there, you are eligible:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/education-assessed/read-report.html

Many people get confused with the wordings in the above link, where it mentions:

Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees.
Important notice: One must be for a program of three or more years.

ECA assessment results:

A three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree

PLUS any of the results in the sections below (not including secondary/high school), or:
  • Post-Bachelor's Certificate
  • Post-undergraduate certificate
  • Post-Bachelor's Diploma
  • Post-undergraduate diploma
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Graduate Certificate with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Postgraduate certificate
  • Postgraduate Diploma
  • Graduate Diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Graduate diploma
  • two-year Postgraduate Diploma, specializing in [name of discipline]
  • two-year Bachelor’s after degree with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • one-year Postgraduate Certificate in [name of discipline]
  • Dual Bachelor’s degree (four years)
The above highlighted part (in red) specifically mentions that if your ECA Equivalency in mentioned in the below sections too, you are eligible to claim points for two or more degrees.

The sections are:

Bachelor’s degree or other programs (three or more years) at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

Two-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

Please note that you should have at least one of the credential in your ECA must be for 3 or more years, in order to claim the points under this category.

Also, there has been a misconception that the second diploma/degree should be after you earned the bachelor's degree. This is not true, your diploma could have been completed before the bachelor's degree and you will still be eligible.

I hope post will clear all the confusion. If there is any error in my post, please let me know and suggestions are also welcome.
I have received my ECA from WES for my 1 year PG Diploma from UK+ I already have my 4yr Bachelor Degree assessed by WES which makes me eligible for "one or more" category". My problem is related to the Educational fields in EE Application for this diploma. Even though my diploma is from the UK, i've physically never been there, since this was distance education/online. What should I fill in the following fields?
1. Country of Study & City/Town of Study: In WES report it is mentioned as UK, But in my EE application should I mention UK OR my Country of residence? Since i've never been to the UK?
2. Study Mode: Full Time/Part Time --> What should I select here? My certificates or evaluation just shows "Postgraduate Diploma (one year)", my diploma was a flexible course, means I dont need to go to any study center, but self study as per my pace.

Can you pls help me?

Last edited:

Staysafe

Feb 25, 2021
Please can you help me clarify:

I have a masters degree which WES has evaluated as Masters.
They have also evaluated my call to bar degree as a one year post graduate degree but they didn’t do my law undergraduate degree evaluation as the transcript for that one is yet to reach them due to so many shut downs of the university (staff/labour strikes) and COVID.

1) Am I still able to claim points for my Masters Degree or Post Graduate Degree if I do not have ECA for the undergraduate degree?
2) If I do get an ITA, can I move the undergraduate studies in the history section ?

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
I have received my ECA from WES for my 1 year PG Diploma from UK+ I already have my 4yr Bachelor Degree assessed by WES which makes me eligible for "one or more" category". My problem is related to the Educational fields in EE Application for this diploma. Even though my diploma is from the UK, i've physically never been there, since this was distance education/online. What should I fill in the following fields?
1. Country of Study & City/Town of Study: In WES report it is mentioned as UK, But in my EE application should I mention UK OR my Country of residence? Since i've never been to the UK?
2. Study Mode: Full Time/Part Time --> What should I select here? My certificates or evaluation just shows "Postgraduate Diploma (one year)", my diploma was a flexible course, means I dont need to go to any study center, but self study as per my pace.

Can you pls help me?
1. It will be UK.

Applicants are instructed to indicate that their education was completed by correspondence by typing in brackets {by correspondence} on the same line as the education institution name found in the Education Background Information tab of GCMS. The discretion remains with the officer to decide if a police certificate is required for the country of the education institution

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

2. It should be Part-time then.

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
Please can you help me clarify:

I have a masters degree which WES has evaluated as Masters.
They have also evaluated my call to bar degree as a one year post graduate degree but they didn’t do my law undergraduate degree evaluation as the transcript for that one is yet to reach them due to so many shut downs of the university (staff/labour strikes) and COVID.

1) Am I still able to claim points for my Masters Degree or Post Graduate Degree if I do not have ECA for the undergraduate degree?
2) If I do get an ITA, can I move the undergraduate studies in the history section ?
If you have the ECA for the Masters degree then you can create a profile with it as only the highest degree matters.

1.) Yes you can
2.) Yes