+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two different spelling of name in documents

RinaVinod

May 16, 2014
I am applying for Canadian immigration under Federal skilled workers program. But I have a name issue. My name in educational documents is REENA and in all other documents (ie. my passport, spouses passport, marriage certificate, kids passporr and kids birth certificate) it is RINA. My query is ...
1. How should I apply for canada visa with different name spellings?
2. If I change my passport name, it ll not match with other dependant's documents.
3. Can an affidavit be made to prove that both the names are of a single person? Does CIC approves such affidavit?
If No, what is the best possible solution for these issue?
PLEASE HELP !!!

RinaVinod

May 16, 2014
Thanks Regina for your quick reply.
My educational documents cannot be changed as ithey are more than 10 years old.
After my Graduation, when I first applied for my passport , my name was misspelled as RINA.
I didnt not think it will be any problem. So I just let it be. Then this misspelled name got carried in all other documents (ie. Marraige certificate, spouse passport, children's birth certificate, children's passport)
Now that I want to apply for Canada immigration, I m worried. What should I do further? Please help.
How should I prove its two different spelling and not two different person?
Thanks and Regards

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
RinaVinod said:
Will sworn affidavit from Indian counslate do the needful.?
It should do the trick. My name on my birth certificate is different from my name on all subsequent documents. A long time ago a Canadian lawyer gave me an affidavit certifying that both names refer to the same person, namley me. I never used that affidavit until recently, when I was applying for a citizenship certificate for my son. The Canadian Consul advised me to write a letter explaining why my names were not identical on all documents, and attached it to my birth certificate and other identifications.

I expect that the same from the Indian Consulate would work too -- and perhaps be more credible than an affidavit certified by a lawyer. But ask the Canadian consulate / embassy in your country. They will know what form of affidavit will work.