+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Turning PR card at the Oath Ceremony

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Hi All,

I was wondering what happens if one loses or forgets to bring PR card to the oath ceremony.
Has anyone experienced not having a pr card to turn in before getting a citizenship certificate?

ranjelicated

Aug 18, 2014
Hi,
Thanks to all your comments. It helps a lot. but my problem is that my oath taking schedule is on August 21/14 and I have to fly to dominican republic on August 30/14 for vacation w/ nonrefundable ticket. I sent them a letter last month to ask if I can move my schedule for oath taking, but since then, I never received any response. I decided to attend the ceremony but hoping that they will not let me turn in my PR card coz I will need it when I travel to DR. It will take a while to receive my canadian passport once I apply for it 2 days after the oath taking. So, what do you think? Is it possible to maybe ask the officials that review your documents to let me keep my PR card?

cic8888

Star Member
Jul 31, 2014
hi ranjelicated,
get your oath done and apply for passport after 2 days in urgent basis - you pay extra 110$ (I guess). you will get passport in 48 hours.
and you cannot keep your PR card no matter what once you take oath.

laxmikanthms

Dec 31, 2009
Toronto,Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-07-2009
Doc's Request.
Feb-02-2010
AOR Received.
June-14-2010
IELTS Request
Already Done
File Transfer...
Feb-10-2010
Med's Request
Nov-01-2010
Med's Done....
Dec-02-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Nov-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan-13-2011
LANDED..........
May-07-2010 (Before PR Approval on Workpermit)
http://passport.gc.ca/info/section6.aspx?lang=eng

labeamer

Jul 30, 2014
ranjelicated said:
Hi,
Thanks to all your comments. It helps a lot. but my problem is that my oath taking schedule is on August 21/14 and I have to fly to dominican republic on August 30/14 for vacation w/ nonrefundable ticket. I sent them a letter last month to ask if I can move my schedule for oath taking, but since then, I never received any response. I decided to attend the ceremony but hoping that they will not let me turn in my PR card coz I will need it when I travel to DR. It will take a while to receive my canadian passport once I apply for it 2 days after the oath taking. So, what do you think? Is it possible to maybe ask the officials that review your documents to let me keep my PR card?
You just cannot ask them to give you the PR card back! There is a legitimate reason why they confiscate the card. Once they confer you with a canadian citizenship, the PR card automatically becomes void and invalid (whether they give it back to you or not.) If, for some reason, you happen to have a PR card after you've become a canadian and you use the card for any reason, you can be charged with a fraud.

Rayan14

Aug 14, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ranjelicated said:
Hi,
Your citizenship card will do. You don't need a PR.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Rayan14 said:
Your citizenship card will do. You don't need a PR.
1. They no longer issue Citizenship cards, just a certificate.
2. The certificate is Not a travel document.
3. If the OP is from a non visa exempt country, he will have trouble boarding the plane to return to Canada.
4. As other posters have said in can apply for a passport 2 days after the ceremony
5. If s/he applies at the passport office with proof of travel, s/he can have the passport in 24 hours with an additional cost of $110.00

PS once you take the Oath, you are no longer a PR.

Rayan14

Aug 14, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

3. If the OP is from a non visa exempt country, he will have trouble boarding the plane to return to Canada.
4. As other posters have said in can apply for a passport 2 days after the ceremony
5. If s/he applies at the passport office with proof of travel, s/he can have the passport in 24 hours with an additional cost of $110.00

Really? Why? That blows. How would any one prove they're citizens then? That piece of certificate looks to be as big as my BA degree. :)

larine

Star Member
Feb 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

Does it mean we don't receive Citizenship card automatically and we have to apply for it ?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
larine said:
Does it mean we don't receive Citizenship card automatically and we have to apply for it ?
You will get a Canadian Citizenship Certificate which is a 8x11 size piece of paper contain no picture, after you completed your oath. And you don't even have to apply for it. Only if the certificate is lost or damaged.

larine

Star Member
Feb 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

just found:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/notice-new-cit.asp
which mean no Citizenship cards for the new citizen

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Rayan14 said:
How would any one prove they're citizens then?
With a passport.

There is no picture as part of the certificate, so it can never be used as a travel document. If you are a Canadian citizen but don't have a Canadian passport, you can't fly back to Canada from any international location.