+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Trying to obtain a study permit as a US citizen, very confused.

Orangeplatter

Aug 15, 2014
Everything is in order for me to go to Canada for university except for my study permit. Up until today I was going by the information I received from my school that I can go up to a port of entry and obtain my study permit after a few hours wait. I'm now being informed that this is incorrect by people working in the CA govt. (some people at my school still say I can) The alternative to going to a port of entry is that I go to the VAC in Los Angeles and appeal to have my study permit application expedited and hopefully maybe it would get to me in time for the fall semester. I'm being informed by some people this is a good option and others that the LA option is going to force me into a 10+ week wait.

I live in the East Coast and am willing to fly to LA as one of my options, so clearly any options are welcome at this point. I've been calling people all day and all I receive are machines or people telling me they don't know/contradictory information.

So my question is: How do I get a study permit for Canada in less than two weeks, a month if absolutely necessary? Or does anyone have any resources/numbers to try that I might be able to explain my situation to a real person?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can apply at the port of entry. See the official CIC web site for confirmation:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how.asp

"If you are from the United States, Saint-Pierre et Miquelon or Greenland, you can apply at the point of entry when you arrive in Canada."