+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Trying to immigrate via common law sponsorship. Questions.

May 3, 2022
Hello,
I’m currently working towards completing 12 consecutive months with my girlfriend to prove common law so I can apply for PR through that avenue. But her situation is a little unique and we have some questions.
My girlfriend is on ODSP, will this be effected if she sponsors me or we’re common law?
What about her daughter’s subsidized childcare?
And lastly, how would this effect her repayment of her student loans?
Thanks in advance!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,
I’m currently working towards completing 12 consecutive months with my girlfriend to prove common law so I can apply for PR through that avenue. But her situation is a little unique and we have some questions.
My girlfriend is on ODSP, will this be effected if she sponsors me or we’re common law?
Thanks in advance!
How would she plan to financially support you and at the same time pay her student loans? Did she find a good job?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
Thanks in advance!
Yes there could be concerns about her ability to financially support you on ODSP. Once you are common law your income will have to be reported on her tax returns and can impact whether she qualifies for any type of benefit.