+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRYING AGAIN - PLS HELP! Can I enter Canada with PR Visa without landing???

dfb

Star Member
Jul 23, 2008
I am an American and I currently live in Canada on a work permit valid through Dec 2010. I just got my PR visa and was planning to land next time I return to Canada following travel to the US. The problem is, with the holidays coming up, I have three trips to the US planned over November and December. If I land when I return from my first trip in early November, it sounds like I wont get my PR card in time for my next trip (American Thanksgiving) or even my third trip (Christmas)?

If I don't land, I can just keep travelling on my work permit - but will they let me do this?? Once I return from my trip at Christmas, I don't expect to need to travel again for 6 or 8 weeks.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Landing only takes a few minutes. Why not just land? I don't understand why you are worried about this. Maybe that's why there's been a lack of response because we don't see the issue.

You must realize that everything having to do with your immigration is connected. Work Permit, PR visa, etc. When CBSA enters your WP number into their system on your next trip they will SEE that you have a PR visa and besides that, it's stamped in your passport. I don't think there is anyway you can avoid landing the next time you enter Canada.

ecs

Star Member
Aug 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After you land, you can always go to US and return back byland WITHOUT a PR card. If you fly into Canada then yes, you will need a PR card. By land, all you have to show is your COPR document and they will let you in. I have done this for about 1.5 years before finally I got my PR card.

dfb

Star Member
Jul 23, 2008
The issue is that I have flights booked for 2 weeks after my first trip and do not expect to have my PR card at that time.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can get a travel document from the Canadian consulate to allow you to fly into Canada if you don't have the PR card, HOWEVER, you should be able to enter on your US passport anyway. You are visa exempt. It really shouldn't be an issue. You can land NOW if you cross (land) a US border and re-enter Canada. Walk around the flag pole! This will get the clock ticking on when to expect your PR card. You will still have your WP as well so you shouldn't anticipate problems.

msgomez

Star Member
Dec 5, 2008
Canada
dfb, when you land you will be given a landing document that is your proof of permanent residency in Canada prior to and up until you receive your PR card. I beleive showing this document will suffice to enter and leave the country as required.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not if you are travelling by commercial vehicle.

msgomez said:
dfb, when you land you will be given a landing document that is your proof of permanent residency in Canada prior to and up until you receive your PR card. I beleive showing this document will suffice to enter and leave the country as required.