+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Trv while waiting for pgwp extension

danybc2001

Jun 28, 2022
Background info:
I’m currently waiting for my PGWP extension to be approved (long story short: my original PGWP didn’t have the 3 year validity I was entitled to due to my passport’s expiration date, which I’ve since renewed). Because of my country of citizenship, I need a TRV. My understanding was that I needed to wait for this pgwp extension to then apply for a visa. I’m currently employed in Montreal. My long term plans are to apply for a PR.

Another detail, however, is that I have a brother living in Canada under a work visa. I got my original visitor visa when I was visiting him before even coming to canada for study/work.

Current situation:
I thought of applying now for a trv, before my extrnsion comes through. My idea is to attach a cover letter explaining that I’ll need a visa regardless of whether the pgwp extension is approved or not:
- if it is approved, then I’ll need it to be able to leave the country.
- if it is rejected, then I’ll go back to my country but I’ll still need a visa to visit my brother.

I also thought that if this visa application is rejected I can just wait till my pgwp comes through and then apply again, so wouldn’t lose much.

Any thoughts on my logic? Does anyone think of any reasons I shouldn’t do this, like a potential rejection of my PR in the future if my visa application is rejected?

VishnuJ2796

Dec 18, 2018
Hi. May I know if you applied and received your trv while your pgwp extension was in process? I'm in somewhat similar situation. Please if you could tell me what you did..
Appreciate your response !!

danybc2001

Jun 28, 2022
Hi. May I know if you applied and received your trv while your pgwp extension was in process? I'm in somewhat similar situation. Please if you could tell me what you did..
Appreciate your response !!
I ended up waiting until my pgwp extension was approved to then apply for a trv. I read as many forum threads as I could and concluded that my trv application would be rejected without a valid work permit because it would have been submitted within Canada.

VishnuJ2796

Dec 18, 2018
Thanks for the reply. So if I understand correctly, your pgwp was already expired and extension was in process when you thought of applying for a TRV?

I read on another thread that a study permit holder got their TRV while waiting for their first pgwp(not extension). But in that case the applicant still had a study permit with a future expiry date.

danybc2001

Jun 28, 2022
I can’t remember if my original pgwp had already expired or was a few weeks before expiring, but either way I assumed the trv apllication wouldn’t be reviewed until it did…and indeed my pgwp extension had been submitted a few months back, but without it being approved I didn’t think it’d make a difference.

nm2807

Oct 17, 2022
URGENT HELP!! I have been waiting for my PGWP Extension for 6 month. No updates yet. I have to travel to India Next Month. I can't apply for TRV extension since I dont have my Extended PGWP. I can't flagpole since, they can't do for any kind of extension.

On other Hand, I have applied for Inland Spousal Sponsorship PR Application In Canada Class ( Waiting for my CoPR). Not Expecting it to come before I leave Canada.

Can I apply for TRV based on my Spousal Sponsorship Application? Or is there any other way I can come back to Canada? URGENT HELP!!!

Jimitnaik

Apr 6, 2024
URGENT HELP!! I have been waiting for my PGWP Extension for 6 month. No updates yet. I have to travel to India Next Month. I can't apply for TRV extension since I dont have my Extended PGWP. I can't flagpole since, they can't do for any kind of extension.

On other Hand, I have applied for Inland Spousal Sponsorship PR Application In Canada Class ( Waiting for my CoPR). Not Expecting it to come before I leave Canada.

Can I apply for TRV based on my Spousal Sponsorship Application? Or is there any other way I can come back to Canada? URGENT HELP!!!

Jimitnaik

Apr 6, 2024
Thanks for the reply. So if I understand correctly, your pgwp was already expired and extension was in process when you thought of applying for a TRV?

I read on another thread that a study permit holder got their TRV while waiting for their first pgwp(not extension). But in that case the applicant still had a study permit with a future expiry date.