+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV vs OWP for Spouse

anir333

Dec 30, 2018
Hi Members,

I am working in Canada for last 2 years in Closed Worked Permit (NOC 2174). I am getting married on Jan 18th,2019 and post marriage I want to bring my spouse to Canada from India. My wife don't have any intention to work post marriage.

I am not sure whether I should apply for OWP for her or should take the TRV route. WP from India processing times is being shown as 16 weeks and I am looking forward to bring her as soon as possible.

I would request the Senior members to provide me your valuable input so that I can get a approved VISA for her.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Members,

I am working in Canada for last 2 years in Closed Worked Permit (NOC 2174). I am getting married on Jan 18th,2019 and post marriage I want to bring my spouse to Canada from India. My wife don't have any intention to work post marriage.

I am not sure whether I should apply for OWP for her or should take the TRV route. WP from India processing times is being shown as 16 weeks and I am looking forward to bring her as soon as possible.

I would request the Senior members to provide me your valuable input so that I can get a approved VISA for her.
It's always better to apply for a SOWP even if she does not intend to work later. It is pretty obvious that she would want to stay in Canada until the validity of your work permit (or longer).

In both cases, she would need to prove she has some ties to India. What can she demonstrate for this: Is she employed? Previous travel history to visa-required countries? Property ownership? etc etc

Reactions: anir333

anir333

Dec 30, 2018
It's always better to apply for a SOWP even if she does not intend to work later. It is pretty obvious that she would want to stay in Canada until the validity of your work permit (or longer).

In both cases, she would need to prove she has some ties to India. What can she demonstrate for this: Is she employed? Previous travel history to visa-required countries? Property ownership? etc etc
thanks a lot Bryanna for the quick reply.