+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV - Visitor - Dependent = Confusion! Please HELP!

firefox793

Sep 10, 2012
Hi all,

Could anyone let me know what is the difference between TRV - Visitor - Dependent?

Is TRV & Dependent same?

Thanks in advance

androme

Star Member
Aug 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
02-10-2012
firefox793 said:
Hi all,

Could anyone let me know what is the difference between TRV - Visitor - Dependent?

Is TRV & Dependent same?

Thanks in advance
Hi,

TRV is Temporary Resident Visa. Visitor visa comes in the TRV category because visitors are temporary and not permanent. Not sure if there are "Dependent visas" as such. If you are in Canada on a work permit and wants to bring your spouse into Canada, You would apply for "spousal open WORK PERMIT" for your spouse along with the TRV. So there is a VISA and there is a permit. VISA lets you enter the country. Permit allows to you or dictates what you can and can't do once you have entered the country. So your spouse in the egs needs a TRV to enter the country and a work permit if he/she wants to work after entering the country. Hope this helps. cheers!

firefox793

Sep 10, 2012
I am a student and my wife is in India, could you suggest which visa she applies for?

I came in September 2012 and have a course till june 2013 the same as my study permit.

Thanks in advance

androme

Star Member
Aug 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
02-10-2012
firefox793 said:
I am a student and my wife is in India, could you suggest which visa she applies for?

I came in September 2012 and have a course till june 2013 the same as my study permit.

Thanks in advance
Your wife should apply for a "SPOUSAL OPEN WORK PERMIT" and a TRV. TRV or temporary resident visa gives her the permission to enter Canada. "Spousal open work permit" allows her to work with ANY employer once she gets here. That way you can study and she can work full time. This is what I did. My wife was a student and I came here on spousal open work permit. Hope this helps. Cheers.

firefox793

Sep 10, 2012
Thanks for the valuable info, however when can she apply for a TRV, I came here in Sep 2012, can she apply now(Oct) for dec 2012?

androme

Star Member
Aug 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
02-10-2012
firefox793 said:
Thanks for the valuable info, however when can she apply for a TRV, I came here in Sep 2012, can she apply now(Oct) for dec 2012?
Yes she can apply right away.

Vinalchawda

Aug 6, 2018
What is difference in visitor visa and dependent visa. My husband got work permit for canada then I should apply for which type of visa dependent or visitor.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What is difference in visitor visa and dependent visa. My husband got work permit for canada then I should apply for which type of visa dependent or visitor.
Open work permit which is also known as spouse open work permit. You don't have to work when you have this visa.