+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV validity and Study Permit duration?

MaxEater

Jan 27, 2014
I received my TRV stamp for 2-year Master program for Winter 2014 intake but was not able to attend this intake because of some family matters.
Now I am going for Summer intake.

So my question is, my program is of 2-years and valid TRV on my passport is of 1.5-years remaining because I didn't go in previous intake and going now after 6-months. So 6-months has passed.

I have updated LOA from my institute. Now at POE, immigration officer will issue my Study Permit of 2-years as my program length is 2-year or 1.5-year because remaining TRV on my passport is 1.5-years??

Please guide me. I am bit confuse. Thanks.

MaxEater

Jan 27, 2014
Anyone having this kind of experience or any information regarding this?
I will be very thankful for that.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Now at POE, immigration officer will issue my Study Permit of 2-years as my program length is 2-year or 1.5-year because remaining TRV on my passport is 1.5-years??
I think you question is about quite a rare situation. And also hwo can predict what officer could decide at POE?
So my advice is read operational manuals for students and for POE. May be there is something.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op12-eng.pdf
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf

Also, if you get TVR only for 1,5 yrs you can always extend it while in Canada.

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
I dont think but i am not sure either, that a study permit beyond passport expiry date of your passport will be issued to you.....

MaxEater

Jan 27, 2014
dukhi said:
I dont think but i am not sure either, that a study permit beyond passport expiry date of your passport will be issued to you.....
My passport expiry is 2022.
I am just saying that I got TRV of 2-years for Winter 2014 intake.
But I didn't go for Winter intake and now going for Summer intake. So now valid remaining TRV on my passport is of 1.5years.

Now at POE, immigration officer will issue me study permit of 2-years as study program is of 2-years or I will get study permit for only 1.5years as remaining TRV on my passport is of 1.5years ??

I hope this time I have cleared my statement.

sharjeel91

Champion Member
Oct 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
09/09/2013
MaxEater said:
But I didn't go for Winter intake and now going for Summer intake. So now valid remaining TRV on my passport is of 1.5years.

Now at POE, immigration officer will issue me study permit of 2-years as study program is of 2-years or I will get study permit for only 1.5years as remaining TRV on my passport is of 1.5years ??

no one can tell u here its solely depends on immigration officer, most likely he will issue u 1.5yr permit, but right now no one can tell u,

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
MaxEater said:

TRV and study permit r two different documents. visa is required to enter canada and a study permit to legally stay in canada. TRV validity period has nothing to do with study permit validity. Ur study permit will be issued at POE and will most likely be for the duration specified on ur admission letter. u wont be able to reenter canada if ur visa has expired however if ur visa has expired and ur still in canada u can continue to stay till ur study permit is valid or any other permit is valid.

MaxEater

Jan 27, 2014
mead said:
TRV and study permit r two different documents. visa is required to enter canada and a study permit to legally stay in canada. TRV validity period has nothing to do with study permit validity. Ur study permit will be issued at POE and will most likely be for the duration specified on ur admission letter. u wont be able to reenter canada if ur visa has expired however if ur visa has expired and ur still in canada u can continue to stay till ur study permit is valid or any other permit is valid.
Thumbs Up mate! Thanks a lot.

So if my TRV has expired and I am in Canada and still have my valid study permit, I can renew my TRV from within Canada so that if I need to go somewhere, I can reenter to Canada?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
MaxEater said:
Thumbs Up mate! Thanks a lot.

So if my TRV has expired and I am in Canada and still have my valid study permit, I can renew my TRV from within Canada so that if I need to go somewhere, I can reenter to Canada?
if its expired u have to apply for a new one not renew but yes u can do it within canada.

Myelizabeth

May 22, 2014
MaxEater,

I have kind of the same situation.. So did you already come to Canada? What did they ask you on POE? Did they ask why you did not come in Winter 2014 if you have the valid TRV from Winter?

Thanks,

LIza