Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
Hello all,

So, some background here. My daughter signed up for a pre-university program at UBC (2 wk program), we submitted 2 TRV applications (for my daughter and myself) as I will be accompanying her there. She's 16 and never travelled alone. My wife decided to stay back in Muscat as my mom lives with us and we have a dog as well. I am an Iraqi citizen and my daughter is an Algerian citizen (my wife is Algerian). The following ties in Oman were articulated in our applications:
  1. We are residents in Oman
  2. I have a high paying job here in Oman. Letter submitted from my employer was attached.
  3. I own the property we live in here in Oman, pretty expensive over here actually.
  4. Our daughter needs to come back to finish her senior year in high school over here, we paid the fees for the 1st semester already ($13,800).
  5. My wife is staying
  6. My mom lives here with us
As for our stay in Vancouver:
  1. Our daughter was to stay on campus
  2. I was to stay with a friend I've known for years who is a dentist there
Just got feedback that the decision was to refuse our applications. The reasons cited were:
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your travel history.
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.
Pretty strange since the only ties to Canada are my daughter's university program and my friend who I will be staying with till she's done. Ties to Oman are very strong, we've been here for almost 10 years now. We do not have a strong travel history if you count Europe and North America but I can't imagine this being a strong basis for rejection.

What do you think? I want to re-apply as we can possibly make it if I get the university to sign her up for the following program that starts on the 28th of July and end Aug 10th.

myra20sharma

Champion Member
Oct 5, 2018
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
30-05-2018
Hello all,

So, some background here. My daughter signed up for a pre-university program at UBC (2 wk program), we submitted 2 TRV applications (for my daughter and myself) as I will be accompanying her there. She's 16 and never travelled alone. My wife decided to stay back in Muscat as my mom lives with us and we have a dog as well. I am an Iraqi citizen and my daughter is an Algerian citizen (my wife is Algerian). The following ties in Oman were articulated in our applications:
  1. We are residents in Oman
  2. I have a high paying job here in Oman. Letter submitted from my employer was attached.
  3. I own the property we live in here in Oman, pretty expensive over here actually.
  4. Our daughter needs to come back to finish her senior year in high school over here, we paid the fees for the 1st semester already ($13,800).
  5. My wife is staying
  6. My mom lives here with us
As for our stay in Vancouver:
  1. Our daughter was to stay on campus
  2. I was to stay with a friend I've known for years who is a dentist there
Just got feedback that the decision was to refuse our applications. The reasons cited were:
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your travel history.
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.
Pretty strange since the only ties to Canada are my daughter's university program and my friend who I will be staying with till she's done. Ties to Oman are very strong, we've been here for almost 10 years now. We do not have a strong travel history if you count Europe and North America but I can't imagine this being a strong basis for rejection.

What do you think? I want to re-apply as we can possibly make it if I get the university to sign her up for the following program that starts on the 28th of July and end Aug 10th.
Is your status in your country of residence is temporary? If not, do you own a house or any property that ties you to?

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
An expat in Oman with a resident permit. This is the normal status of all expats over here, 2 year residence permit. Pretty much the same for all Gulf countries.

As for home ownership, yes I own a home here.

myra20sharma

Champion Member
Oct 5, 2018
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
30-05-2018
An expat in Oman with a resident permit. This is the normal status of all expats over here, 2 year residence permit. Pretty much the same for all Gulf countries.

As for home ownership, yes I own a home here.

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your travel history. ----> you cannot change that. But for such cases, applicant has to have a strong purpose of visit. What was provided as purpose of visit?
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence. ----> Did you provide home ties like the house you own, any liabilities or responsibilities that you will return to after your temporary stay in Canada?

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
The purpose of the visit on my application was to accompany my daughter to attend this pre-university program for which we paid already (4,500 CAD). All proof was attached if this purpose of course.

Yes I attached title deed of my home ownership (even had it translated from a translation office in Canada through email correspondence). I showed the other stuff that ties me to Oman such as my job, daughter’s school fees we already paid for, a letter from my wife, letters from my brother and sister saying I’m the one taking care of our aging mom who lives with us in Oman.

Pretty solid application if I may say so. I’m surprised they cited ties in Canada! We have no family there, just my friend who’s kind enough to give me a bed to sleep on while my daughter attends this program.

myra20sharma

Champion Member
Oct 5, 2018
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
30-05-2018
The purpose of the visit on my application was to accompany my daughter to attend this pre-university program for which we paid already (4,500 CAD). All proof was attached if this purpose of course.

Yes I attached title deed of my home ownership (even had it translated from a translation office in Canada through email correspondence). I showed the other stuff that ties me to Oman such as my job, daughter’s school fees we already paid for, a letter from my wife, letters from my brother and sister saying I’m the one taking care of our aging mom who lives with us in Oman.

Pretty solid application if I may say so. I’m surprised they cited ties in Canada! We have no family there, just my friend who’s kind enough to give me a bed to sleep on while my daughter attends this program.
There is no point applying again with same documents as it would only result in another rejection, even if you or I or anyone other than VO thinks it is a strong file. You have to address all the rejections reasons in a cover letter/explanation letter in the new application with some more documents, wherever applicable. Before doing that, you can request GCMS notes that sometime give more details and may help you prepare a stronger file.

Last edited:

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
That’s my predicament now, the reasons for rejection have already been addressed before hand so I’m not sure what else to attach as documents to enhance this application even more. The explanation letter was quite detailed with bullet points covering everything from ties in Oman to purpose of travel. I think maybe I should just apply for our daughter to make this trip on her own. I hear the GCMS document could take 30 days.

myra20sharma

Champion Member
Oct 5, 2018
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
30-05-2018
That’s my predicament now, the reasons for rejection have already been addressed before hand so I’m not sure what else to attach as documents to enhance this application even more. The explanation letter was quite detailed with bullet points covering everything from ties in Oman to purpose of travel. I think maybe I should just apply for our daughter to make this trip on her own. I hear the GCMS document could take 30 days.
Yes, it takes 30-35 days. :)

Immigration_guru

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
It takes 30 odd days.