+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV Refused cos we forgot to mention previous attempt

karanbir498

May 5, 2019
Hey all,

So I am an international student in Canada since 2015 (didnt visit my country even once since I came here). About a month ago, my parents applied for TRV to come meet me in Canada and see the Canada. My dad successfully got his Visa, but was refused for my mom. The main reason mentioned was something like "wrong or untruthful information provided" (paraphrasing).

Now my mom tried applying for Visa a few years ago (actually, 7+ years ago) too on work-bases for an administration job, but the LMIA was unsuccessful. When we applied for her application a month ago, even though we mentioned this to agent, he apparently still didnt mention this in the file and just said there that a month ago was her first attempt. Our mistake, we didnt proofread file properly except names and spellings (but what's done is done, so lets not come to this).

She received a rejection about 2 weeks ago. I would still really like her to see Canada so we are thinking of appealing/re-applying. Can anyone with experience suggest what the next steps should be? What would you recommend we do in this case? Can we somehow explain our mistake?

PS: We wont be dealing with that agent anymore. It'll likely be a new and better-researched agent.
PS PS: I completed my course this year. The graduation was in June this year, and the convocation was one of the reasons I wrote on Statement of Purpose. So in next try, I guess I'll just write something along the lines of "I want to meet her since its been so long and want her to see the Canada".

Another question is (if you know) that do I need to Notary-attest my Statement of Purpose letter? I don't think so and we didnt do this the previous time, but some people are suggesting us this. Will appreciate any help.

EDIT:

Also, I just remembered, we have some relatives in Canada (my mother's brother), and we didn't mention them in application (I thought the "family members" meant the same as they mean in student-visa applications, spouse/children). Was this also a mistake?

And here's the exact refusal-letter we received:

This refers to your application for a temporary resident visa to Canada. I have completed my assessment of your application and I have determined that you do not meet the requirements for a temporary resident visa; therefore your application is refused.

This refers to your application for a temporary resident visa to Canada. I have completed my assessment of your application and I have determined that you do not meet the requirements for a temporary resident visa; therefore, your application is refused.

In accordance with Section A11(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), any person wishing to become a temporary resident of Canada must satisfy an officer that he or she is not inadmissible to Canada and meets the requirements of the Act. This includes the requirement to establish to the satisfaction of the officer that the applicant will respect their conditions of admission and will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for his or her stay.

In reaching a decision, an officer considers several factors; these may include the applicant's travel and identity documents, reason for travel to Canada, contacts in Canada, financial means for the trip; ties to country of residence (including immigration status, employment and family ties) and whether the applicant would be likely to leave Canada at the end of his/her authorized stay.
Following an examination of your application, I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Act and the Regulations for the reasons explained below. I am therefore refusing your application.

Grounds for refusal:

• I am not satisfied that you have truthfully answered all questions asked of you.
  • I am not satisfied that you have truthfully answered all questions in the documents you have submitted in support of your application, as required by subsection 16(1) of the IRPA. Specifically, I am not satisfied that the following information is truthful.
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at end of your stay as temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your purpose of your visit.
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at end of your stay as temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your current employment situation.
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at end of your stay as temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at end of your stay as temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at end of your stay as temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your travel history.
This application is closed and this letter communicates our final and official decision in respect of it. Please not that any new information you wish to provide must be submitted with a new application and processing fee. Should you wish to reapply, I would suggest that you do so only if your situation has changed substantively or you have significant new information to submit.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey all,

So I am an international student in Canada since 2015 (didnt visit my country even once since I came here). About a month ago, my parents applied for TRV to come meet me in Canada and see the Canada. My dad successfully got his Visa, but was refused for my mom. The main reason mentioned was something like "wrong or untruthful information provided" (paraphrasing).

Now my mom tried applying for Visa a few years ago (actually, 7+ years ago) too on work-bases for an administration job, but the LMIA was unsuccessful. When we applied for her application a month ago, even though we mentioned this to agent, he apparently still didnt mention this in the file and just said there that a month ago was her first attempt. Our mistake, we didnt proofread file properly except names and spellings (but what's done is done, so lets not come to this).

She received a rejection about 2 weeks ago. I would still really like her to see Canada so we are thinking of appealing/re-applying. Can anyone with experience suggest what the next steps should be? What would you recommend we do in this case? Can we somehow explain our mistake?

PS: We wont be dealing with that agent anymore. It'll likely be a new and better-researched agent.
PS PS: I completed my course this year. The graduation was in June this year, and the convocation was one of the reasons I wrote on Statement of Purpose. So in next try, I guess I'll just write something along the lines of "I want to meet her since its been so long and want her to see the Canada".

Another question is (if you know) that do I need to Notary-attest my Statement of Purpose letter? I don't think so and we didnt do this the previous time, but some people are suggesting us this. Will appreciate any help.
What was the wording of the refusal? Was she banned for misrepresentation?

karanbir498

May 5, 2019
She definitely wasn't banned from my memory of reading letter (it was read over the phone by my mom). I'll give you the exact wording soon (my country has night-time and family's likely asleep right now, and they have the letters).

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
If she wasn't banned, you can reapply. Find out if she's been banned and let us know.

Cjay23

May 21, 2019
Hey all,

If the letter contains anything from paragraph 401(a)... that's definitely a misrepresentation and it's attracts a ban of 5years... pray it isn't

karanbir498

May 5, 2019
If she wasn't banned, you can reapply. Find out if she's been banned and let us know.
If the letter contains anything from paragraph 401(a)... that's definitely a misrepresentation and it's attracts a ban of 5years... pray it isn't
Here's what the letter said as reasons for refusal:

• I am not satisfied that you have truthfully answered all questions asked of you.
  • I am not satisfied that you have truthfully answered all questions in the documents you have submitted in support of your application, as required by subsection 16(1) of the IRPA. Specifically, I am not satisfied that the following information is truthful.
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at end of your stay as temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your purpose of your visit.
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at end of your stay as temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your current employment situation.
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at end of your stay as temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at end of your stay as temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at end of your stay as temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your travel history.
There's no mentioned of the word "ban" anywhere.
Also, my mom doesn't work, and has never travelled outside country before. Now, what do you think is the best way to appeal this (as to what should we write as reasons and what kind of documents will improve the case)? And should we appeal right away or wait a months/more and just reapply (considering the chances of ban)?

Cjay23

May 21, 2019
Here's what the letter said as reasons for refusal:

There's no mentioned of the word "ban" anywhere.
Also, my mom doesn't work, and has never travelled outside country before. Now, what do you think is the best way to appeal this (as to what should we write as reasons and what kind of documents will improve the case)? And should we appeal right away or wait a months/more and just reapply (considering the chances of ban)?
Did she mention anything that sounds like "misrepresentation" it needs to be clarified before proceeding to reapply. If not it would be like pouring water on stone

karanbir498

May 5, 2019
Did she mention anything that sounds like "misrepresentation" it needs to be clarified before proceeding to reapply. If not it would be like pouring water on stone
No, it doesn't say "misrepresentation" (my bad, I somehow used that word while attempting to paraphrase). Another question I have is that at the end, it says "this application is closed and this letter communicates our final and official decision in respect of it". Can this still be appealed? This sounds like they are insisting on this decision.

Also, I just remembered, we have some relatives in Canada (my mother's brother), and we didn't mention them in application (I thought the "family members" meant the same as they mean in student-visa applications, spouse/children). Was this also a mistake?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
No, it doesn't say "misrepresentation" (my bad, I somehow used that word while attempting to paraphrase). Another question I have is that at the end, it says "this application is closed and this letter communicates our final and official decision in respect of it". Can this still be appealed? This sounds like they are insisting on this decision.
There is no appeal process for TRV apps. There is only judicial review, which is a complicated and expensive process requiring a lawyer.

Nothing in the letter about failing to disclose the previous refusal?

karanbir498

May 5, 2019
There is no appeal process for TRV apps. There is only judicial review, which is a complicated and expensive process requiring a lawyer.

Nothing in the letter about failing to disclose the previous refusal?
Nope, no such thing. It just says "I am not satisfied that you truthfully answered all questions". Didn't mention which questions....

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Nope, no such thing. It just says "I am not satisfied that you truthfully answered all questions". Didn't mention which questions....
What do the last two paragraphs of the letter state? Please post the whole thing if you can.

karanbir498

May 5, 2019
What do the last two paragraphs of the letter state? Please post the whole thing if you can.
Here's the whole letter:

-------------------------------

This refers to your application for a temporary resident visa to Canada. I have completed my assessment of your application and I have determined that you do not meet the requirements for a temporary resident visa; therefore your application is refused.

This refers to your application for a temporary resident visa to Canada. I have completed my assessment of your application and I have determined that you do not meet the requirements for a temporary resident visa; therefore, your application is refused.

In accordance with Section A11(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), any person wishing to become a temporary resident of Canada must satisfy an officer that he or she is not inadmissible to Canada and meets the requirements of the Act. This includes the requirement to establish to the satisfaction of the officer that the applicant will respect their conditions of admission and will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for his or her stay.

In reaching a decision, an officer considers several factors; these may include the applicant's travel and identity documents, reason for travel to Canada, contacts in Canada, financial means for the trip; ties to country of residence (including immigration status, employment and family ties) and whether the applicant would be likely to leave Canada at the end of his/her authorized stay.
Following an examination of your application, I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Act and the Regulations for the reasons explained below. I am therefore refusing your application.

Grounds for refusal:

This application is closed and this letter communicates our final and official decision in respect of it. Please not that any new information you wish to provide must be submitted with a new application and processing fee. Should you wish to reapply, I would suggest that you do so only if your situation has changed substantively or you have significant new information to submit.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Here's the whole letter:

-------------------------------

Grounds for refusal:

Ok, definitely not a ban. That's the good news.

You need to figure out why they thought she lied on her application and fix all the issues they have mentioned before you try applying again. Post her full profile here.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
It's not just the previous visa application. It's her purpose of visit, financial status as well.

karanbir498

May 5, 2019
Ok, definitely not a ban. That's the good news.

You need to figure out why they thought she lied on her application and fix all the issues they have mentioned before you try applying again. Post her full profile here.
Thanks, will do soon (timezones/family-sleeping stuff again).