+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV/OWP or Visitor Visa for Spousal Sponsorship

munis

Feb 15, 2018
I am working in Canada and recently got my ITA under CEC class and will be submitting my application soon.

I am planning to get married AFTER I get my PR card in hand. Marrying before getting my PR is NOT an option. I am aware once I get my PR, the only way for my wife to get PR is through the family sponsorship program if she does not want to go through the Express entry route. As far as I have read this might take up to a year.

What I am wondering is, during this 1 year wait, can my wife come to Canada to visit me using a visitor visa, or a TRV/ open work permit? Or better yet, can she apply for the visitor visa/ TRV first, get it and come to Canada and apply for PR inland from Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am working in Canada and recently got my ITA under CEC class and will be submitting my application soon.

I am planning to get married AFTER I get my PR card in hand. Marrying before getting my PR is NOT an option. I am aware once I get my PR, the only way for my wife to get PR is through the family sponsorship program if she does not want to go through the Express entry route. As far as I have read this might take up to a year.

What I am wondering is, during this 1 year wait, can my wife come to Canada to visit me using a visitor visa, or a TRV/ open work permit? Or better yet, can she apply for the visitor visa/ TRV first, get it and come to Canada and apply for PR inland from Canada?
Yes she can try to get a TRV but it will be difficult. Will all depend on how strong her ties are to her home country and whether she has savings. She doesn’t qualify for SOWP. If she does get a TRV you can apply inland and include a OWP if she wants to work. In many provinces she will not have access to health coverage for over a year so something to consider if you are planning on getting pregnant or not preventing a pregnancy. You will have to plan on paying all the costs including delivery.