+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV or Visitor's Visa

ashwathi8886

Mar 27, 2015
Greetings of the day.

My Husband is in Canada, Ontario - London since January 2015, on Student Visa (S-1 Category) & the same is valid upto 31st December, 2015. He wants me to join him so that i may work & support him.

I have the following queries pertaining to visa.

1) Which visa type shall i apply for : Temporary Resident Visa / Visitors Visa.

2) How do i apply for open work permit ( Because when i try to do that it asks me for employer details of canada)

3) Is an invitation letter required ?

4) How much money is required to shown in his account & my account.

5) List of documents required from my husband's end & my end.

Awaiting in anticipation.

newcecapplicant

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
Hello there,

If you are outisde Canada you will ned both a TRV and a Visitor Visa/Work Permit

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) allows you to enter Canada (It is a travel document), and the permit issued thereafter allows you to remain in Canada.

If you wish to apply for an Open Work Permit since he is in school as a spousal applicant go here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-spouse.asp

They generally look for enough money for you to support yourself in Canada, so if you are visiting show enough depending on your needs. Ask your husband what he spends, but typicaly at least 1000CAD/month

List of documents can be found with the application package online.

cheers,

ashwathi8886

Mar 27, 2015
Thank you for the prompt reply.

yes i am from outside Canada, i.e.India.

The link which you have posted takes me to apply for work permit - in which again there is a link which says - Download application form.

When i do that it takes me to a link.

This link states - Use this application if you are a temporary resident who is already in Canada and you want to:

1) extend your stay,
2) change the conditions of your stay,
3) change your type of temporary status or
4) correct problems with your status.

Does it mean that i have to first apply for TRV & then for work permit after i go to canada, OR is there any other application where-in i can apply for both.

Thanks again.

newcecapplicant

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
Sorry about that, I'm sure you can find the link to make an application online from your home country.
As regards applying for a TRV, yes that will be part of the application. You will have to make your TRV and your work permit application from your home country before you come to Canada.

Hope this helps!

ashwathi8886

Mar 27, 2015
Hello again,

I am from India & i spoke to CVAC here in Mumbai.

According to them; they said i can either apply for TRV or OPEN WORK PERMIT.

I am clear that i need a TRV. But how do i go about OWP. ?