+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV or TRP for baby born outside Canada to PR status parents

hjf89

Jun 6, 2022
My husband, daughter and I have valid PR cards. We are currently living in Dubai and have not met our 730 day residency requirements due to COVID travel restrictions and my pregnancy.

My baby was born in Jan 2021 and we applied for his TRV in May 2022 because we have decided to move to Canada this summer for good. Our PR cards are valid till Jan 2024 and we have added all the reasons why we didn't move earlier to Canada in the TRV application. I was also made redundant in 2020 during my pregnancy which caused a dip in our finances. So we shared all the possible information to make our case convincing.

There is no detailed information on the IRCC website about whether the baby should have TRV or TRP, we read a few blogs and those had a few mix suggestions too. We just went ahead with the TRV application to see what happens. Its been a month now and we have not received any update. I understand there is a huge delay with applications and the process is taking longer than usual but how long should the TRV process take for a baby?

Please share your experiences if possible and suggestions

Ysiraj32

Aug 19, 2018
I am exactly in same situation as you and messaged you directly in your inbox. Let's connect there.

Ololosh

Star Member
Aug 4, 2019
Based on so many threads on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that TRV/TRP for a baby of PRs born outside Canada is processed in 4-8 months lately.

So you just have to stay patient. IRCC is very slow this year.

ralusman90

Aug 15, 2022
We were in the same situation. We applied for our baby's TRV on Dec 25th 2021 as we were planning to move Spring 2022. We had our job offers in hand as off Jan 2022 and had to shift by April 1st week at the latest to secure our jobs. We started following up with IRCC end of Jan and raised multiple web forms. Unfortunately though, with TRVs there is no way of expediting them. We finally heard back on the 25th of Feb, requesting that we pay for TRP as we, the parents are PR holders and would be applying for her PR immediately upon landing. We made the payment and received the request for her medicals on the 4th of March. 2 days later we had PPR and received stamped passport back on the 22nd of March. Fortunately for us, we were able to get into the country and start our jobs on time. We have now applied for our baby's PR and are awaiting acknowledgement and next steps.

hjf89

Jun 6, 2022
We were in the same situation. We applied for our baby's TRV on Dec 25th 2021 as we were planning to move Spring 2022. We had our job offers in hand as off Jan 2022 and had to shift by April 1st week at the latest to secure our jobs. We started following up with IRCC end of Jan and raised multiple web forms. Unfortunately though, with TRVs there is no way of expediting them. We finally heard back on the 25th of Feb, requesting that we pay for TRP as we, the parents are PR holders and would be applying for her PR immediately upon landing. We made the payment and received the request for her medicals on the 4th of March. 2 days later we had PPR and received stamped passport back on the 22nd of March. Fortunately for us, we were able to get into the country and start our jobs on time. We have now applied for our baby's PR and are awaiting acknowledgement and next steps.

ralusman90

Aug 15, 2022
We received the Job Offers after we submitted the application. Once we had them in hand though, we updated IRCC through webform that we had offers in hand. The medical was very basic. They checked height, weight, head circumference and just a general body check.

Ysiraj32

Aug 19, 2018
@ralusman90 This is quiet reassuring. Have sent you a PM directly in your inbox requesting your guidance and sharing your experience further.

hjf89

Jun 6, 2022
Hi everyone ... A lady living in Dubai connected with me on FB and told me that she had applied for her infant's TRV in April 2022 and wanted to know my status update. Today she messaged me on whatsapp and told me that her infant's TRV got rejected and was told the infant is not eligible for TRV and the parents have to apply for TRP. They have been asked to do medical for her infant and gave her TRP file number.

Unfortunately her child's TRV application did not automatically get converted to TRP.

If anyone has such updates please update everyone else so we all are in the loop.

Also if anyone knows how to go ahead with a TRP application that would be great intel too.

Many thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We received the Job Offers after we submitted the application. Once we had them in hand though, we updated IRCC through webform that we had offers in hand. The medical was very basic. They checked height, weight, head circumference and just a general body check.
Were you compliant with your ROs?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Based on so many threads on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that TRV/TRP for a baby of PRs born outside Canada is processed in 4-8 months lately.

So you just have to stay patient. IRCC is very slow this year.
It really depends on the circumstances especially the location. Whether the parents meet their RO will also be a factor. Most are taking under 4 months. There are still huge backlogs due to Covid and shutdowns and there have been many staff absences around the world because of Covid infections, qyarantine, taking care of sick relatives, longterm disability due to long Covid, etc. Files were also get redistributed to try and equal out the work across all offices. China’s offices are no longer working like other other offices and getting staff into the country has been very difficult. The office there is not working like it used to and many staff are being redistributed to surrounding countries. The China office was a very large office so changes have lots of consequences

The Middle East is one of the more difficult offices when it comes to getting TRVs and TRPs for children of PRs especiallylove if the family has been living abroad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ololosh

Ololosh

Star Member
Aug 4, 2019
Hi everyone ... A lady living in Dubai connected with me on FB and told me that she had applied for her infant's TRV in April 2022 and wanted to know my status update. Today she messaged me on whatsapp and told me that her infant's TRV got rejected and was told the infant is not eligible for TRV and the parents have to apply for TRP. They have been asked to do medical for her infant and gave her TRP file number.

Unfortunately her child's TRV application did not automatically get converted to TRP.

If anyone has such updates please update everyone else so we all are in the loop.

Also if anyone knows how to go ahead with a TRP application that would be great intel too.

Many thanks
TRP application is literally TRV application with LoE that should clearly ask an immigration officer to consider the application TRP. At least this is how so many members of this forum have done successfully.

hjf89

Jun 6, 2022
I hope you don't mind me asking
How long is your baby TRP valid for? I read online that it can be valid from anywhere between 1 month to 3 years.
Also is TRP a paper document that they email you or was the passport requested for visa stamping?

hjf89

Jun 6, 2022
It really depends on the circumstances especially the location. Whether the parents meet their RO will also be a factor. Most are taking under 4 months. There are still huge backlogs due to Covid and shutdowns and there have been many staff absences around the world because of Covid infections, qyarantine, taking care of sick relatives, longterm disability due to long Covid, etc. Files were also get redistributed to try and equal out the work across all offices. China’s offices are no longer working like other other offices and getting staff into the country has been very difficult. The office there is not working like it used to and many staff are being redistributed to surrounding countries. The China office was a very large office so changes have lots of consequences

The Middle East is one of the more difficult offices when it comes to getting TRVs and TRPs for children of PRs especiallylove if the family has been living abroad.
TRP application is literally TRV application with LoE that should clearly ask an immigration officer to consider the application TRP. At least this is how so many members of this forum have done successfully.

Many thanks
Just wanted to give an update on this.

The case that I mentioned above about TRV getting rejected. Actually they applied for TRV on April 2022 for their infant and they received an update last Monday. Their kid's TRV got rejected, however IRCC gave them a TRP file number and asked their kid to do medical exam. The NEXT DAY the couple got another email to make an extra payment for their TRP application process. So basically as someone else also mentioned in this forum that IRCC are converting TRV in TRP with an extra payment and requesting medical exam for the baby.

The couple got worried about the TRV rejection email and they got in touch with me. That's why I posted here about their kid's TRV getting rejected and wanted some info about TRP.

Good news is that the TRV is getting converted into TRP with an extra payment and medicals.

hjf89

Jun 6, 2022

How long is a baby TRP valid for? I read online that it can be valid from anywhere between 1 month to 3 years.

Also is TRP a paper document that they email you or was the passport requested for visa stamping?

Ysiraj32

Aug 19, 2018
How long is a baby TRP valid for? I read online that it can be valid from anywhere between 1 month to 3 years.

Thank you for sharing this reassuring news! Really appreciated. Any idea, as of today, is the TRP now approved for these applicants?