+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV- Insufficient funds for parent? I will sponsor visit. What if I don't include parent's bank statement?

IgboQueenBee

Oct 18, 2020
Hi everyone

I am a PR and want to apply for a visitor visa (TRV, not supervisa) for my Mom. She's a widow and has a business. Unfortunately, she has only about $200 in her bank account.
I will cover all financial expenses around her stay including flights, accommodation, food, misc.

Here are docs we have so far:

Visitor (Mom)
- Business ownership
- Assets: Owns house she lives in + car
- Ties to home country: Young children under 18 years
- Travel to previous countries
- Purpose of visit: Daughter's Pregnancy and birth

Host (Me)
- PR with full time job
- Combined income for my husband and I is ~ $100k
- Invitation letter
- Bank Statement
- Employment contract + pay stubs

We just started our jobs so we don't have a lot in savings either, about $12,000.

My question is: What if I do not include her bank statement in the application? Can her application still be approved?
IRCC lists account summary as "optional" (see below)
So, can I just skip the bank statement "optional" requirement?
Do I need to include her business account statement? It doesn't have up to $1,000 either, cos most transactions back home is cash-based.

My fear is that having so little in her personal account will make her application unfavourable despite fulfilling all other requirements.
Any large deposits into her account now will raise red flags since 6 months statement will be seen.
How many months of visit can I request for?

Can anyone help, please?

Account statementNo (optional) – visa applicationThis can help us understand if you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada.Bank name and contact
This allows us to contact your bank or financial institution with questions.
Proof it is your account
Your name and address on the statement show that the account is yours.
Account details
At least 6 months of account details, including balances, helps us understand your financial situation.
Submit with visa application

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone

I am a PR and want to apply for a visitor visa (TRV, not supervisa) for my Mom. She's a widow and has a business. Unfortunately, she has only about $200 in her bank account.
I will cover all financial expenses around her stay including flights, accommodation, food, misc.

Here are docs we have so far:

Visitor (Mom)
- Business ownership
- Assets: Owns house she lives in + car
- Ties to home country: Young children under 18 years
- Travel to previous countries
- Purpose of visit: Daughter's Pregnancy and birth

Host (Me)
- PR with full time job
- Combined income for my husband and I is ~ $100k
- Invitation letter
- Bank Statement
- Employment contract + pay stubs

We just started our jobs so we don't have a lot in savings either, about $12,000.

My question is: What if I do not include her bank statement in the application? Can her application still be approved?
IRCC lists account summary as "optional" (see below)
So, can I just skip the bank statement "optional" requirement?
Do I need to include her business account statement? It doesn't have up to $1,000 either, cos most transactions back home is cash-based.

My fear is that having so little in her personal account will make her application unfavourable despite fulfilling all other requirements.
Any large deposits into her account now will raise red flags since 6 months statement will be seen.
How many months of visit can I request for?

Can anyone help, please?

Account statementNo (optional) – visa applicationThis can help us understand if you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada.Bank name and contact
This allows us to contact your bank or financial institution with questions.
Proof it is your account
Your name and address on the statement show that the account is yours.
Account details
At least 6 months of account details, including balances, helps us understand your financial situation.
Submit with visa application
You need to include her personal financial information. Her amount of savings and home ownership and hopefully the assessment of the value of the property should be included in her application. How long is she wanting to remain in Canada? How old are her children in her home country? If she is asking to remain abroad without her children for a certain amount of time then her ties to her home country are weakened (job and dependent family). In general visitors are supposed to be able to show that they can cover the cost of their visit. There are instances where families have disagreements and then refuse to cover the expenses of the visitor and the person ends up stuck in Canada without the funds to travel home or even get a hotel. This is why Canada usually wants to see that a visitor has the funds to support themselves if necessary. There are approvals when the visitor doesn’t have savings so it’s not impossible but given that you also don’t have a huge amount of savings and that you have a growing family her financial situation could be an issue. All you can do is apply and see what happens. I would suggest applying as soon as possible in case you need to reapply. What is her vaccination status? Has she been vaccinated with Pfizer, Moderna, AZ or J&J?

IgboQueenBee

Oct 18, 2020
You need to include her personal financial information. Her amount of savings and home ownership and hopefully the assessment of the value of the property should be included in her application. How long is she wanting to remain in Canada? How old are her children in her home country? If she is asking to remain abroad without her children for a certain amount of time then her ties to her home country are weakened (job and dependent family). In general visitors are supposed to be able to show that they can cover the cost of their visit. There are instances where families have disagreements and then refuse to cover the expenses of the visitor and the person ends up stuck in Canada without the funds to travel home or even get a hotel. This is why Canada usually wants to see that a visitor has the funds to support themselves if necessary. There are approvals when the visitor doesn’t have savings so it’s not impossible but given that you also don’t have a huge amount of savings and that you have a growing family her financial situation could be an issue. All you can do is apply and see what happens. I would suggest applying as soon as possible in case you need to reapply. What is her vaccination status? Has she been vaccinated with Pfizer, Moderna, AZ or J&J?
Thank you for your response, Canuck78. I'll proceed and update you on how it goes. Faith and hope!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No I didn't. I just used my bank statement and that of my spouse. Since we were doing the inviting, it was enough and she got the visitor visa.
Getting approval is rare in these circumstances. You got very lucky given you also didn’t have much savings. She will still need to make it through CBSA with so little funds of her own. I would make sure she has travel health insurance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It appears that you may be trying to hire your mother as a caregiver. If that is the case, it will likely be more difficult for her to visit the future of denied. Most family members are now denied due to so much fraud.