+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV: how much $ must show in host's supporting documents?

soucal

May 26, 2010
I would like to invite my father to visit me for a couple of months, and I have questions about the supporting documents:

- an employment letter from the host's employer stating his/her position, how long he/she has been employed at this job and his/her salary
I am self-employed, so what should I do? Write a letter myself stating this very fact?
What minimum salary is required?

- a copy of the host's most recent Notice of Assessment received from Revenue Canada...
My income for the past year happened to be very low, and so was the amount of taxes. In fact, it was so low I didn't even file my taxes yet.
I am still able to host my father because he'll be living in my apartment, and his living expenses are very modest.
Since the consulate website states that provision of the supporting documents is voluntary, would it be better to omit the notice of assessment, or should I still attach it, no matter how small it is?
If my father has enough of his own money for his travel and living expenses, will the immigration officer care how much income I earned and taxes paid?
Is there a minimum amount of taxes that has to be paid in order to qualify as a TRV host?
Or, what minimum annual income should I have?

- ...or other proof of financial resources
Is my bank statement a valid proof?
How much $ should there be? I have a couple of thousand $, how much is enough? My father is bringing another couple of thousand $ of his own.

My father already visited Canada on a TRV several years ago. As ties to his home country, he showed his bank statement, his apartment ownership documents, and a letter from employer about duration of employment, salary, and leave. However, I had a full-time employment and a stable paycheck back then.

Thank you for your thoughts.