+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV granted for 2 years. Even passport is valid till 6 years

munishsainisg

Feb 17, 2017
Hi,
I had applied TRV for my parents. They recently received stamped visa. To my surprise, the expiry date of Visa is of 2 years only. Their passports are valid for next 6 years.
On cic website it is written that the TRV is valid/issued till the passport is valid.

Anyone who faced this similar situation or know what is the reason for short validity or any rule change?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
IRCC does not promise the validity of the passport will determine the validity of the visa. If a visa officer rveiewd the application and determines there are reasons why not to issue a long visa - such as insufficient ties to home country - they can issue a shorter visa. They do this to essentially "test" the visa holders ability to follow the rules.

Essentially, your parents are lucky they got a visa and not refused. You can request GCMS notes to determine what reasons the visa officer specified.

nmatter

May 12, 2019
IRCC does not promise the validity of the passport will determine the validity of the visa. If a visa officer rveiewd the application and determines there are reasons why not to issue a long visa - such as insufficient ties to home country - they can issue a shorter visa. They do this to essentially "test" the visa holders ability to follow the rules.

Essentially, your parents are lucky they got a visa and not refused. You can request GCMS notes to determine what reasons the visa officer specified.

I got my TRV (valid till 2023) but passport was valid till 2026 and as you said to order GCMS (I did this already but did not found any note related to why they issue shorter visa).

Btw I visited this year in September after getting approved to make sure they know I follow all rule