+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV from Outside Canada on approved work permit

sangaurav

Feb 8, 2023
I have valid work permit till Sep 2023 but the visa in passport has expired. I had to return back to India in Oct 2022 due to some family exigencies.
To return back to Canada I need stamping in visa. I have submitted the application on Feb 05th for visa stamping in passport against already approved work permit. Any idea by when I can expect the passport submission request?

Reactions: Nawel@@

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have valid work permit till Sep 2023 but the visa in passport has expired. I had to return back to India in Oct 2022 due to some family exigencies.
To return back to Canada I need stamping in visa. I have submitted the application on Feb 05th for visa stamping in passport against already approved work permit. Any idea by when I can expect the passport submission request?
So you applied for a new TRV. Check processing times for India on IRCC website.

sangaurav

Feb 8, 2023
So you applied for a new TRV. Check processing times for India on IRCC website.
TRV processing time on IRCC website is for someone who is applying fresh visitor visa for the first time. My case is different to get visa stamping in the passport since previous stamp is expired. I already have approved work permit valid till Sep 2023. Hence I posted this ask here to know from other's experience on how long it take to get the passport submission request in the case where one only needs passport stamping.

The IRCC website processing time is for fresh applications only which would involve biometrics, complete background check and medical in case for >6 months planned stay.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
TRV processing time on IRCC website is for someone who is applying fresh visitor visa for the first time. My case is different to get visa stamping in the passport since previous stamp is expired. I already have approved work permit valid till Sep 2023. Hence I posted this ask here to know from other's experience on how long it take to get the passport submission request in the case where one only needs passport stamping.

The IRCC website processing time is for fresh applications only which would involve biometrics, complete background check and medical in case for >6 months planned stay.
So your TRV has been approved (you applied for a new one) and you need it stamped? For a TRV, if it expires, then you apply for a new/fresh one. There are no extensions or TRV applications for expired TRVs. You start from scratch. So did you apply for a new TRV in Canada or from India?

A work permit lets you work in Canada but a TRV lets you enter Canada.

sangaurav

Feb 8, 2023
Yes, I have applied for new TRV to enter in Canada again. Have applied from India.My biometrics are already valid. I don't need medical test again since I have not completed 6 months stay outside India. I have uploaded approved Work Permit as well

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, I have applied for new TRV to enter in Canada again. Have applied from India.My biometrics are already valid. I don't need medical test again since I have not completed 6 months stay outside India. I have uploaded approved Work Permit as well
So you applied for new TRV and it was approved, and you need to send it for stamping? If so, that will take a few weeks. If you applied for a new TRV and awaiting a decision then you look at the processing times for a new TRV. You are not expedited or gain any advantage in the queue.

sangaurav

Feb 8, 2023
So you applied for new TRV and it was approved, and you need to send it for stamping? If so, that will take a few weeks. If you applied for a new TRV and awaiting a decision then you look at the processing times for a new TRV. You are not expedited or gain any advantage in the queue.
Isn't my case is similar to the scenario where one applies for WP extension before expiry and once WP extension is approved they need to file application for TRV stamping? Would then the processing time of work permit application + processing time of TRV would be considered?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Isn't my case is similar to the scenario where one applies for WP extension before expiry and once WP extension is approved they need to file application for TRV stamping? Would then the processing time of work permit application + processing time of TRV would be considered?
An extension of WP is not a TRV, and the two are not the same applications. It is not automatic. You can have an approved work permit that you need stamped but still need to apply for a TRV. So did you apply for a TRV before you left Canada or in India?

sangaurav

Feb 8, 2023
An extension of WP is not a TRV, and the two are not the same applications. It is not automatic. You can have an approved work permit that you need stamped but still need to apply for a TRV. So did you apply for a TRV before you left Canada or in India?
Ok thanks for clarifying. I have applied for TRV from India on Feb 05th. IRCC website states that there are 102 days for processing of visitor visa applications.
We will complete 6 months stay out of Canada on Apr 26, 2023. We want to travel back before that day so that we don't end up to get medical tests due to >6 months stay in India. Since my wife is pregnant and x-ray test cannot be done in pregnancy. We want to travel back before Apr 26th.

But if it will take 102 days as per processing timelines in IRCC then it seems we will not get visa till Apr 26th and then we will not be able to travel this year due to medical test requirement.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Ok thanks for clarifying. I have applied for TRV from India on Feb 05th. IRCC website states that there are 102 days for processing of visitor visa applications.
We will complete 6 months stay out of Canada on Apr 26, 2023. We want to travel back before that day so that we don't end up to get medical tests due to >6 months stay in India. Since my wife is pregnant and x-ray test cannot be done in pregnancy. We want to travel back before Apr 26th.

But if it will take 102 days as per processing timelines in IRCC then it seems we will not get visa till Apr 26th and then we will not be able to travel this year due to medical test requirement.
There is no expedited processing for TRVs or special queue for WP/SP holders. All you can do is wait. You may be asked to redo medicals during the process. What permit is your spouse on? Does she have TRV?

sangaurav

Feb 8, 2023
There is no expedited processing for TRVs or special queue for WP/SP holders. All you can do is wait. You may be asked to redo medicals during the process. What permit is your spouse on? Does she have TRV?
She also have valid work permit till Sep 2023 but stamp in passport has expired

Manoj957

Star Member
Dec 1, 2019
The current processing for TRV from India is 50 days. My application crossed 70 days but still no ray of hope. I raised webform in this regard but couldn't get any response yet