+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV Experience Egypt 2019 Timeline

omar92

Sep 23, 2019
Wanted to share with everyone my recent experience applying for a Canadian visitor visa from Egypt. I feel very lucky and blessed to have been approved, in part because of the info on this site!

Background:
I got accepted in a conference scheduled to be held in Vancouver BC. I began doing research and decided to apply online, which required me to scan everything myself, fill out the forms online and learn a lot of PDF resizing/merging skills. I was unsure about what category I should apply under. Tourism or business? Under most contexts attending a conference is a "business" activity however this was not explicitly stated anywhere. I decided to say "Other" and hope for the best.

Documents:
Bank statements showing available funds of around CAD 7,000
Invitation letter from conference organizers (which mentioned a special reference code indicating that the event was known to and sanctioned by the IRCC/CBSA)
Letter from my host institution
Scans of my current and previous passports
A copy of a hotel booking in Canada (I did NOT provide an air ticket)
I have valid US and UK visas in my passport and several expired Schengens, plus visas for China, India and a bunch of other countries.

What I had read about the CAN+ process (a fast-track process for current/previous US or Canadian visa holders) didn't apply in my case.

After submitting the application I got the biometrics letter a day later and the next working day I went to VFS Canada in Cairo to submit biometrics. Appointments and walk-ins are accepted.

In my case, what I had read online about the correspondance letter was true. I got the approval/original passport request later after 1-2 working days.

Timeline:
September 12-Online Application Submitted
September 14- Biometrics Request Letter
September 15- Biomettics Done at VAC Cairo
September 16- Biometrics Confirmation Letter
September 26- Biometrics Correspondance Letter
September 30- Original Passport Request/Online Application Updated to "Approved"
Submit passport to VAC same day
October 3rd- System updated to reflect finished processing; visa document number issued
October 5th- Courier deliver passport with visa valid for 4 years

- Processing was fast; less than the stated 33 day averaging processing time for Cairo
- Online applications are processed in Ankara however the visa sticker itself is issued in Cairo
- Applying online you need to be extra careful with the applications, and have to do a lot of scanning, PDF converting and merging
- With Canada it is best to over deliver and provide as many documents as possible especially if you feel you are a "weak" candidate.

Truth be told, I relied on the strength of the invitation letter and my university letter. Both are from highly reputable and recognized institutions. And the last thing Canada would need is negative publicity about rejecting scholars from the Global South.

Advice: If you really want to travel to Canada, a good way would be to find a reputable event to attend. Applying under the sponsorship of a big name (be it a university or multinational) will help.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Reactions: Intianu

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure what you mean by global south or getting negative publicity for rejecting people. Canada has one of the toughest visa processes and isn't worried about bad publicity from that. People are assessed based on their profile.

zainzindani

Star Member
Oct 13, 2018
Wanted to share with everyone my recent experience applying for a Canadian visitor visa from Egypt. I feel very lucky and blessed to have been approved, in part because of the info on this site!

Background:
I got accepted in a conference scheduled to be held in Vancouver BC. I began doing research and decided to apply online, which required me to scan everything myself, fill out the forms online and learn a lot of PDF resizing/merging skills. I was unsure about what category I should apply under. Tourism or business? Under most contexts attending a conference is a "business" activity however this was not explicitly stated anywhere. I decided to say "Other" and hope for the best.

Documents:
Invitation letter from conference organizers (which mentioned a special reference code indicating that the event was known to and sanctioned by the IRCC/CBSA)
I have valid US and UK visas in my passport and several expired Schengens, plus visas for China, India and a bunch of other countries.

What I had read about the CAN+ process (a fast-track process for current/previous US or Canadian visa holders) didn't apply in my case.

After submitting the application I got the biometrics letter a day later and the next working day I went to VFS Canada in Cairo to submit biometrics. Appointments and walk-ins are accepted.

In my case, what I had read online about the correspondance letter was true. I got the approval/original passport request later after 1-2 working days.

Timeline:
September 30- Original Passport Request/Online Application Updated to "Approved"
October 3rd- System updated to reflect finished processing; visa document number issued

- Processing was fast; less than the stated 33 day averaging processing time for Cairo
- Online applications are processed in Ankara however the visa sticker itself is issued in Cairo
- Applying online you need to be extra careful with the applications, and have to do a lot of scanning, PDF converting and merging
- With Canada it is best to over deliver and provide as many documents as possible especially if you feel you are a "weak" candidate.

Truth be told, I relied on the strength of the invitation letter and my university letter. Both are from highly reputable and recognized institutions. And the last thing Canada would need is negative publicity about rejecting scholars from the Global South.

Advice: If you really want to travel to Canada, a good way would be to find a reputable event to attend. Applying under the sponsorship of a big name (be it a university or multinational) will help.

Dear omar92
What you write in purpose of visit (other) ?

Intianu

Star Member
Mar 31, 2019
Nigeria
Category........
NOC Code......
Lovely.... Congratulations

Background:

Documents:

Timeline: