+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV assistance

ritaj

Aug 21, 2019
I applied for my boyfriend TRV earlier this month. he is a Cuban citizen who has a work permission in Italy. he currently lives in Rome. we received a notice to give the bio-metrics which were completed last Friday.. The processing time is 17 days and i am so nervous as he has a ticket booked to Toronto on September 1st. I did use a lawyer to help with the application and had lots of documentation to back up everything.. What are the chances a Cuban citizen actually gets approved for this type of visa? the only good thing is that he has been in Italy for 5 years and is on a work contract. i put the purpose of the visit is for my birthday and the ticket is booked for 1 week.. any thoughts on the likely hood it would get approved

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I applied for my boyfriend TRV earlier this month. he is a Cuban citizen who has a work permission in Italy. he currently lives in Rome. we received a notice to give the bio-metrics which were completed last Friday.. The processing time is 17 days and i am so nervous as he has a ticket booked to Toronto on September 1st. I did use a lawyer to help with the application and had lots of documentation to back up everything.. What are the chances a Cuban citizen actually gets approved for this type of visa? the only good thing is that he has been in Italy for 5 years and is on a work contract. i put the purpose of the visit is for my birthday and the ticket is booked for 1 week.. any thoughts on the likely hood it would get approved
Tough to say. Would have said low chance but I have been surprised before. Technically he would have had to claim asylum in the first safe country but in reality that is often ignored. Not a good idea to buy tickets in advance just an FYI but too late. It is pretty rare for a Cuban to have permission to work abroad in a non-communist country or not as part of a labour exchange program that benefits the regime.

ritaj

Aug 21, 2019
Tough to say. Would have said low chance but I have been surprised before. Technically he would have had to claim asylum in the first safe country but in reality that is often ignored. Not a good idea to buy tickets in advance just an FYI but too late. It is pretty rare for a Cuban to have permission to work abroad in a non-communist country or not as part of a labour exchange program that benefits the regime.

He already lives in Italy and has lived there for 5 years. The application is just to visit Toronto for a week. It was recommended by my lawyer to book a flight as it shows a return date and also travel insurance had to be purchased before they submitted the application, if it’s denied the travel insurance would help recouping the funds for the ticket

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He already lives in Italy and has lived there for 5 years. The application is just to visit Toronto for a week. It was recommended by my lawyer to book a flight as it shows a return date and also travel insurance had to be purchased before they submitted the application, if it’s denied the travel insurance would help recouping the funds for the ticket
IRCC generally discourages purchasing a ticket and even says so in writing. What is his status in Italy? Did he apply for asylum in Italy?

ritaj

Aug 21, 2019
IRCC generally discourages purchasing a ticket and even says so in writing. What is his status in Italy? Did he apply for asylum in Italy?
He has a residence permit in Italy. I’m not sure about the flight, I actually learned more on this site than I did while doing the application with the lawyer. They requested biometrics and we submitted them last week but his flight was booked for September 1st, with the processing time in Italy it shows 18 days now which would bring us to next Wednesday for an answer but I’m doubting it now :(

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He has a residence permit in Italy. I’m not sure about the flight, I actually learned more on this site than I did while doing the application with the lawyer. They requested biometrics and we submitted them last week but his flight was booked for September 1st, with the processing time in Italy it shows 18 days now which would bring us to next Wednesday for an answer but I’m doubting it now :(
He isn’t Italian and those times are only estimates. I am still not seeing how your bf got a residency permit fairly recently in Italy while being Cuban. Is this a renewable residency permit? F this was through an asylum application his chances of travel are much lower.

ritaj

Aug 21, 2019
He isn’t Italian and those times are only estimates. I am still not seeing how your bf got a residency permit fairly recently in Italy while being Cuban. Is this a renewable residency permit? F this was through an asylum application his chances of travel are much lower.

Well you were right it got denied. I received the response today. They had several reasons for the denial, purpose of visit, and sufficient funds mind you we showed over $50,000 but that didn’t matter. They put in family ties as well and there’s no reason for him to go back to Italy. I’m not sure what to do at this point because the whole point of the one we visit was to get him on Canadian soil because we legally cannot get married in Cuba because I don’t have a birth certificate from Iraq. I am a Canadian citizen and have been here since I was 4 years old. I was told by the Iraqi embassy I would have to go to Iraq to get the birth certificate and obviously do not want to go there as it is a country is not safe. I’m stuck now and not sure what to do. Any advice?