+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV applied on Feb.13 No update

koldun

Apr 18, 2018
My father-in law applied for a TRV on Feb. 13 on paper via Canada Visa Application Centre/VFS Service in Dusseldorf, Germany (Russian citizen, German resident). His son, living in Canada, provided an invitation letter and all the required documents. Standard time at that moment was 2 weeks, but it has been 10 weeks by now. We have tried to contact the Vienna Consulate to enquire regarding the application status in the last 4 weeks, but have been just told to wait without any detailed information. The answers and status remain "we are processing your application". The problem is that he was planning to make a transatlantic cruise (Europe-Halifax- New York) and the cruise booking becomes unrefundable in just a few days. The max. waiting time of 6 weeks has long been exceeded. My daughter, who he had applied for at the same time received her visa within 10 days. Can it really be that long? Could they have just lost his documents?

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My father-in law applied for a TRV on Feb. 13 on paper via Canada Visa Application Centre/VFS Service in Dusseldorf, Germany (Russian citizen, German resident). His son, living in Canada, provided an invitation letter and all the required documents. Standard time at that moment was 2 weeks, but it has been 10 weeks by now. We have tried to contact the Vienna Consulate to enquire regarding the application status in the last 4 weeks, but have been just told to wait without any detailed information. The answers and status remain "we are processing your application". The problem is that he was planning to make a transatlantic cruise (Europe-Halifax- New York) and the cruise booking becomes unrefundable in just a few days. The max. waiting time of 6 weeks has long been exceeded. My daughter, who he had applied for at the same time received her visa within 10 days. Can it really be that long? Could they have just lost his documents?
Processing time depends on the specifics/ circumstances/ a number of factors.... and varies from application to application. It can take from a few days to a few months (especially in cases where background checks are being done).

It's quite certain that his application/documents have not been lost.

You could try linking his paper application to his online account. This would give you a better idea about the processing status. Here's the link:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account/link-paper-online.html

koldun

Apr 18, 2018
Processing time depends on the specifics/ circumstances/ a number of factors.... and varies from application to application. It can take from a few days to a few months (especially in cases where background checks are being done).

It's quite certain that his application/documents have not been lost.

You could try linking his paper application to his online account. This would give you a better idea about the processing status. Here's the link:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account/link-paper-online.html
Thank you Bryanna, I did that sometime ago. I do unserstand that it's always different, but this isn't the 1st time for him travelling to Canada and his "status" didn't get any worse, so 2,5 months processing time is kind of strange.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thank you Bryanna, I did that sometime ago. I do unserstand that it's always different, but this isn't the 1st time for him travelling to Canada and his "status" didn't get any worse, so 2,5 months processing time is kind of strange.
Processing time changes every week unlike in the past. Unfortunately, even past visits do not allow for faster processing.

I suggest you try linking his application because you would get the exact status updates

koldun

Apr 18, 2018
Processing time changes every week unlike in the past. Unfortunately, even past visits do not allow for faster processing.

I suggest you try linking his application because you would get the exact status updates
I wrote, that I did - the message remains unchanged :)

koldun

Apr 18, 2018
We got an answer per email today regarding our last enquiry. Wait...

It's been over 10 weeks now and the folks are really nervous and even thinking on cancelling the whole hassle. It was supposed to be a nice family celebration on the Canadian soil, not a pain in the ass.

koldun

Apr 18, 2018
The TRV was granted yesterday. Passport received today. 3 months and 3 days... The planned trip itself has been obviously canceled in the meantime. Over.