+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Trump winning the US Elections

ms.eheads

Star Member
Jun 25, 2016
Do you guys think this may intensely affect immigrants and aspiring immigrants of America to move to Canada?

DrGiGi

Nov 13, 2016
:) A lot of American professionals of all races and background are definitely considering it. Why not experience another culture for a while if you can afford it. You just can't up and move. You have to show skills. More than Trump. It's about human decency. :)

JRandomGuy

Nov 14, 2016
Not worried about skills. I hate to brag, but we have 4 Masters degrees between the two of us. ;D

But yeah, we're not ready to pull the trigger. Yet.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
JRandomGuy said:
Not worried about skills. I hate to brag, but we have 4 Masters degrees between the two of us. ;D

But yeah, we're not ready to pull the trigger. Yet.
The cruel reality is: job market in Canada is very different from the US one, and there are a lot of cab drivers with master or phd degrees ...

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
itsmyid said:
The cruel reality is: job market in Canada is very different from the US one, and there are a lot of cab drivers with master or phd degrees ...
Yep. There is a reason why so many new immigrants to Canada want to jump to the USA.

My wife has a Masters from Columbia University in the health profession. Still had to pay thousand bucks to get the degree recognized in Ontario just so she can pay several more thousands to take the course work and exams to get licensed here to work.

JRandomGuy

Nov 14, 2016
We wouldn't even think of makoing the jump if we didn't have real job offers in hand. Making that happen takes a lot of time (many months), and lots & lots of networking, no matter where you decide to look. Been there, done that, got the scars to prove it.
And I think our degrees would transfer over fairly easily, with no additional national certifications that I can think of (as opposed to, say, the health care or structural engineering fields).
If anything, age would be our biggest problem, since we're both over 40.

But hey, there's the overwhelming possibility that this is all just talk. Things may not become as awful as we fear.
Like everyone else who's gawking at that orange-hued buffoon, we just don't know.

But we have NOT ruled out such a jump.

AO2015

Jan 24, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-11-2014
Doc's Request.
sent with the application
IELTS Request
sent with the application
Strange. I am a graduate of NYU and I got my license to practice in Ontario pretty quickly, and paid only for licensing which I did for my license in the US.
Was she able to find a job in her field?

keesio said:
Yep. There is a reason why so many new immigrants to Canada want to jump to the USA.

My wife has a Masters from Columbia University in the health profession. Still had to pay thousand bucks to get the degree recognized in Ontario just so she can pay several more thousands to take the course work and exams to get licensed here to work.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
AO2015 said:
Strange. I am a graduate of NYU and I got my license to practice in Ontario pretty quickly, and paid only for licensing which I did for my license in the US.
Was she able to find a job in her field?
She is a Physiotherapist and is working as one now. She had to pay to get her degree recognized, then take two exams and a series of courses to get licensed in Ontario. It was expensive and time consuming.